Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Visual Studio solutions very slow to open after 12.1 installation

Craig_Patterson
Beginner
Following installation of Intel Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 6 (version 12.1.6.233) on several different PCs that I use, the time required to open certain VS 2005 and VS 2008 solution files has increased dramatically (from about 15 sec to about 2 min). All of the PCs are running Windows XP, and have one or more previous versions of the Intel Visual Fortran compiler installed, including version 11.1.060 and Composer XE 2011 Update 4 (version 12.0.4.196). Is there a solution available for this problem?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can't recall seeing other complaints of this. Which version of VS opens the solutions? Is your "home" directory on a network share?
0 Kudos
Craig_Patterson
Beginner

Thanks for responding so promptly. The long opening time occurs with both VS 2005 opening VS 2005 solution files and VS 2008 opening VS 2008 solution files. That is in the larger of the two computer labs, where my home directory is on a network server. In a much smaller lab (one server and three PCs, two of them not running at the time), I saw the same problem today on a computer that has only the older of the two Visual Studio versions installed on it. My home directory is on the server in the smaller lab also, but in bothlabs, the files I am working with are on the C: drives of the computers that I'm logged into.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I have seen complaints from other users that Visual Studio always tries to open a user preference file in a subfolder of the user's home directory. Intel Fortran has nothing to do with this.

Please try this experiment. Open Visual Studio by itself, not opening a project. Does it take a long time? Now use the Open menu to open a Fortran solution. Is it slow then?
0 Kudos
Craig_Patterson
Beginner
No and yes are the answers to your questions. While I'm waiting for the solution to come up, Task Manager shows two instances of Visual Studio in the Applications window, both with a status of "not responding." There is no appreciable CPU or hard drive usage during the wait. When the solution finally opens, Task Manager shows one instance of Visual Studio that is "running," and thereafter all seems to be well. The behavior of VS 2005 and VS 2008 was exactly the same; I tested both.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
So the slowness is only when opening a Fortran project, and not for other project types? I think the network home share is involved, though in general this is ok (in fact my own system has a network drive as the home drive.)

Let's try this experiment. Follow the instructions here to redirect My Documents to a folder on your C drive. (This will just be temporary.) Now try opening the solutions and see what happens. You can redirect My Documents back to the original location after the experiment.
0 Kudos
Craig_Patterson
Beginner
Sorry, Fortran project types are all that I have...

I'll try doing the experiment above, although I doubt it will help. The ONLY THING that has changed in the smaller lab that I work in is that version 12.1 of the compiler has been installed; that installation seems to be causing the problem somehow. I don't have the problem with a PC in a third lab on which version 12.1 has not yet been installed (it has VS 2008 and version 12.0 Update 4 of the compiler installed).

I should mention that all of the PCs in question are located in secure facilities that do not have Internet access. Is it possible that version 12.1 is trying to access the Internet??
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
No, there's no Internet access in the product - especially when opening VS solutions, which don't even care about a license.

Here's something else you can try. Uninstall 12.1. Delete the "Intel Fortran" directory under the Visual Studio 8 and Visual Studio 9.0 folders. Install 12.0 Update 5. Is the problem still there? Now reinstall 12.1 and check again.

You probably have some sort of antivirus product running - if you temporarily disable its real-time protection, does that change things?
0 Kudos
Craig_Patterson
Beginner
I see that Update 7 is available now. Do you think that version might fix the problem? I thought I'd ask before I go through the uninstall/reinstall process that you suggested I try.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Since I am unaware of a general problem of this nature, I can't suggest whether or not Update 7 would help, but it wouldn't hurt to try that first. I still think there is something in your environment that is the trigger, not which Fortran version you have installed.
0 Kudos
Craig_Patterson
Beginner
OK, here's what I learned from the experiment: The solution opened quickly until I reinstalled version 12.1.0 (update 6 build 233), then it went back to taking a long time again. I went on to install version 12.1.1 (update 7 build 258) as an update rather than a separate version, and there was no change. If 12.1.1 doesn't solve a different problem I'm having with the code, then I may revert to the last release of 12.0 (update 5 build 221) until this gets figured out. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Does this happen with any Fortran project? What if you create a new "hellp world" project and then open that?
0 Kudos