Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Visual studio 2012 freezes when running the debugger

awa5114
Beginner

I am working with a large application written in Intel Visual Fortran. In order to limit jumping to internal procedures and staying within my loaded Fortran solution while debugging, I have set disabled address-level debugging in Debug>Options. This seems to work fine. However as I step through the main kernel of my program, and try to step into one of the subroutine calls, Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 completely freezes and stops responding.

The error message is your standard windows "Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 has stopped responding" and provides me with either a choice to debug or abort. If I choose debug it closes Microsoft Visual Studio and opens a completely new instance which is not very helpful.

Why is it that I cannot step through my code in peace?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You haven't given us an important piece of information - which exact version (year and update number) of Intel Parallel Studio XE do you have installed? 

0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner

I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 with Intel Fortran Compiler 2013.1.119.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That's now four versions old. Please see if the problem occurs with the current version 2017.

0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner
That is the version my company has purchased. Does that entitle me to update to version 2017? If not I would like to please explore solutions with the version I have available. Buying the latest version is not an option for me.
0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner
That is the version my company has purchased. Does that entitle me to update to version 2017? If not I would like to please explore solutions with the version I have available. Buying the latest version is not an option for me.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

There is not sufficient information available to determine your actual license. If the latest PSXE 2017 version is not accessible to you under your login at the Intel Registration and Download Center then that implies your license is expired, meaning your current compiler can continue working but you are not eligible to upgrade to the latest version. You may qualify for Free Quality Software.

As for the hang and exploring solutions, I have not found anything similar or specifically known based on the description that would help. Instead of stepping into, maybe setting a breakpoint inside the subroutine and running to cursor would avoid a hang.

0 Kudos