Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Visual studio 2015 and Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows

Jan_Borup_J_
Beginner

Hi,

I have the following two products installed:

Visual Studio 2015
Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows

After installing Fortran, I cannot see a Fortran project type in Visual Studio. I would expect these two versions to be compatible?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

First, only Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 4 or later supports VS2015. Second, you must do a custom install of VS2015 and select C++ support in order for Intel Parallel Studio XE to work. See https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio for more information.

0 Kudos
Jan_Borup_J_
Beginner

Thanks, I presume I need to update to  Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 4.

I presume I have C++ components in VS 2015, as the "Installed products" in VS includes: Visual C++ 2015 (pls see attached file).
Can you confirm this is the right component?

Thanks,
Jan

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, that looks ok.

0 Kudos
Jan_Borup_J_
Beginner

Uninstalled Fortran, downloaded update 4 and reinstalled. This did the trick, so now I can create Fortran projects in VS 2015, thanks!

One question still remains: I activated the product in Intel Software Manager using the product key I got when purchasing Fortran which is more than a year ago.  However, even though the product is activated in Intel Software Manager (so it claims, see attached file "activation"), then I am still able to press "Activate" next time I open Intel Software Manager. So, how can I see it is really activated?

Thanks once again,

Jan

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

If you cam successfully build. it's activated. If you need more help with licenses, please ask in our licensing forum.

0 Kudos
Linkin_w_
Beginner

where can I download update 4 to support Fortran !? thanks!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

https://registrationcenter.intel.com/ is where you get updates. 

0 Kudos
Asma_Z_
Beginner

Hi

I am trying to compile snopt and stuck in the following error while configuring visual studio 2013

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/configuring-visual-studio-for-mixed-language-applications

"The expression """.get_Chars(14)" cannot be evaluated. Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Please help me.

If any one have video guide to compile snopt please share with us!

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Asma, you should have started a new post instead of adding to this thread, because.your question appears unrelated to the topic of this thread. 

If by "snopt" you mean the SNOPT optimization package from Stanford, please tell us if you are attempting to build a static library, dynamic library or an EXE using the SNOPT sources. Did the error message appear when you tried to compile a particular source file? If so, please show a link to the file or attach a Zip of the source file in question to your reply, and state which compiler options and compiler version you used.

Without having seen the source file, I would suspect that the get_chars() is an undeclared function reference. It is probable that the source code is for some older operating system other than Windows/MSDOS, and that OS had a built-in function with that name.

It is very improbable that there exists a video of the type that you describe. A few words should suffice, once we have a description of what needs to be done.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That looks like a message from the debugger, not the compiler. I think we need more information about where you are seeing this and where in the process you encountered it. I can't imagine any way it would appear while configuring the environment.

0 Kudos
borra__sivaiah
Beginner

I want to download and install Intell Parallel XE 2016, please let me know where do I get that version.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

See discussion in https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/844542

0 Kudos