Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Watching Allocatable Things

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
TYPE tTest
INTEGER(1), DIMENSION(:), POINTER :: a
INTEGER :: b
REAL(8), DIMENSION(:), POINTER :: c
INTEGER :: d
REAL(8), DIMENSION(:), POINTER :: e
INTEGER :: f, g
END TYPE tTest

TYPE (tTest), DIMENSION(:), POINTER :: Test

Is there anyway to watch the contents of 'Test' after it has been allocated / set...? Nothing I try in the debugger seems to work...must I resort to the 'Memory' window?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Which compiler and version are you using? This works fine for me in CVF 6.6, for example.

If you're using CVF, be sure you have run Per-User Setup from Start..Programs..Compaq Visual Fortran 6.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Steve, I'm using CVF 6.6B.

Test and tTest are private memebers of a MODULE, does that make a difference?

If I put 'Test' in the watch window I just get 'Undefined variable Test'
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Running 'Per User Setup' doesn't help...
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
The module is also SAVEd...
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Ah, it does make a difference if it's in a module. As explained in the manual, you need to use the syntax modulename::variablename in the watch window for module variables.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks Steve, I figured it might be something like that, since I new about imported common block names in DLLs (commmonname.variablename etc.). I even tried module.variable, module%variable etc. ... just couldn't get the syntax.

I appreciate the very polite 'RTFM' too :) My bad :)
0 Kudos
mike_gaitens
Novice
Steve,
Thanks much for your reply. You've just cured my #1 reason for avoiding modules.

However, your "explained in the Manual" comment leaves me puzzled. I can't find this tidbit anywhere in the Version 6.6B documentation. Could you please either give me a reference so I can start trying to find out why my "Entire Collection" isn't complete, or include your manual in the Ver. 6.6C release.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Programmer's Guide..Debugging Fortran Programs..Viewing Fortran Data Types in the Debugger..Specifying Module Variables:

To view a module variable in the Watch window, specify the module name, followed by "::", followed by the variable name.

For example, to watch variable "bar" of module "foo", specify the following expression:

foo::bar

0 Kudos