Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28591 Discussions

Watching variables in extended types

Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

One of the more useful features in IVF 11 is type extension. However, although the compiler allows you to reference parent components directly from the child, the Visual studio variable watch requires you to fill in the name of the extended type in all references to parent components. Can this be fixed?

Andy Smith

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I entered a feature request for this, ID is DPD200118856.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Looks as if this was fixed a while ago.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

I just tried it with XE2013 update 3 in VS2010. Not working for me. See attached screen capture.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I tested it and it seemed to work. Can you provide an actual test case? A screen shot doesn't tell me a lot.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

Attached project demonstates.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

Trying agin with attachment

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The source file isn't in the zip.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

Sorry VS by default put the source in the previous project I was using. New project attached.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Works for me in the new beta - I will try it on the older version as well and see what I get.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Oh, I misunderstood the problem. You're right - if I watch B%I it doesn't work, but I can see B%BASE%I.

0 Kudos
Andrew_Smith
Valued Contributor I

It might seam a trivial shortcoming and in the simple test case it is. But once you get a few more levels deep with inheritence and you use more meaningful (long) names for things it gets time consuming typing in watches. Your actual code is unlikely to use the full tree to access components so you dont have something in the code to copy and paste from. It is diifucult to hover over the code to watch too becuse you have to expend the tree to find things. Is there any plan to improve the watch capability ? How does it compare to other languages from Microsoft? 

Another case where watches dont work like code is where you access a component from an array of derived types.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We've already fixed an issue where hovering over a component name in a derived type reference doesn't find the item - that will be in a future release. We're a bit constrained in what we can do here as the debug symbol table languge is limited (we have similar issues on Linux with DWARF), but perhaps we can improve things here.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We've made further improvements in this area for the next major release.

0 Kudos