Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

What is best way to call Fortran from VB .NET?

DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

I have a fully functional DLL app which is currently being used from Excel VBA and from several process modelling packages.

I have been asked to make this application available from VB .NET, and I have demonstrated that this is possible using VB code which is very similar to the code in Excel VBA.

The VB programmer says he does not want extra wrapper coding overheads and wants my DLL available in COM form. One claim he made (before I provided the solution above, was that the only way he could call my DLL was by creating a (Excel?) worksheet on the fly in memory for each call.  He was concerned in particular that he could not register my DLL.

What changes do I need to make to my DLL project to do this? Obviously I do not want to create a maintenance headache for myself in the process.  As far as I'm concerned, my current DLL solution is adequate.  Is there a better solution?

Thanks for your help,

David

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There is a VB.NET-Calls-Fortran sample provided that uses a DLL. It is quite simple to use. It is possible to do it with COM but it is much more complicated and adds layers of its own.
0 Kudos