Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Which version of Visual Studio is Compatible with Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran

GWats1
New Contributor I

My Fortran license is for Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows (2017 version), and I had been running Visual Studio 2017.  Then It looks like I installed VS 2019 but I must not have included the correct libraries because it will not open any .vfproj files so I'm wondering which VS is compatible. 

The Inter Software Manager says my 2017 is the latest version, so I am wondering which Visual Studio to get?  Is the new 2022 version better?

I only open my old Fortran code once in a while and do not claim any coding abilities and I was trying to see if I could get an idea from the WHIZZY sample. 

I opened this thread on Whizzy but ran into an error, so I started this new thread.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Install-or-Open-the-Whizzy-sample/m-p/1346843/thread-id/158994#M158996

0 Kudos
1 Solution
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

It seems that you have more than one Visual Studio installed. That is not a problem. When you install the latest OneAPI /Fortran it should offer to install into ALL eligible VS versions installed but you get the choice. I would suggest only installing into the latest VS and it will leave the older ones alone. The installer does not uninstall older Fortran versions  from the system but it can remove them from the Visual studio(s) selected if they are too old to be compatible with the Fortran version being installed. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

See the sticky post by Devorah_H in this forum regarding FAQ, or my previous response to a similar question.

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Wow, I can't believe Intel would give away a free Fortran compiler (I've had Compaq Visual Fortran which my company paid for and several versions since then).  I don't remember how much we paid for it, so it is odd to me to get a free version.

A couple of questions:

1. I have VS2017 and Fortran XE running right now, so can I keep them installed?
  2. I also installed VS2019 sometime but it does not recognize Fortran code, so can I delete or uninstall VS2019?
  3. Can I install Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit and the latest Visual Studio 2022 and have the old VS2017 still running?

I can barely navigate VS2017 and get my old code compiled to run on a Windows PC, so how much different is VS2022 and the new Fortran compiler?

Thanks for putting up with an old Fortran user. I would not call myself a programmer.    

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

@GWats1 wrote:

1. I have VS2017 and Fortran XE running right now, so can I keep them installed?
  2. I also installed VS2019 sometime but it does not recognize Fortran code, so can I delete or uninstall VS2019?
  3. Can I install Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit and the latest Visual Studio 2022 and have the old VS2017 still running?

Yes to all three.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

I will update the article with the latest supported VS versions. For now here is the information you need:

Supported VS versions for oneAPI 2022 (2021.5 ifort):

VS 2017 (15.9.39)

VS 2019 (16.11.4)

VS 2022 (17.0.0)

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Thanks, Devorah. 

I'm updating my VS2019 to 16.11.8  now and I hope it might work. I D/L the oneAPI with HPC but have not installed it yet.

Should I get VS 2022 v17.0.0 and also install oneAPI 2022?  And which Fortran version would be best for old Fortran code?

0 Kudos
GWats1
New Contributor I

Our Draconian IT folks only granted me God Rights to my company laptop for today, so I D/L the oneAPI with Toolkit and D/L and installed VS 2020 (I updated VS2017 and VS2019 too).  I did find a XE version 2020 that I downloaded but never installed on top of my XE 2017 version.

I was going to install the oneAPI with toolkit but got a warning (attached) that if I continued the Fortran XE version would be uninstalled and I got cold feet and quit.

I would rather not risk getting the oneAPI installed with VS2020 and not be able to compile my old Fortran code.

Recommendations?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

It seems that you have more than one Visual Studio installed. That is not a problem. When you install the latest OneAPI /Fortran it should offer to install into ALL eligible VS versions installed but you get the choice. I would suggest only installing into the latest VS and it will leave the older ones alone. The installer does not uninstall older Fortran versions  from the system but it can remove them from the Visual studio(s) selected if they are too old to be compatible with the Fortran version being installed. 

GWats1
New Contributor I

Many thanks to all that helped. I got VS2022 installed and also installed oneAPI with the HPC toolkit (had to get Admin rights again for my PC).  I was able to open a Sample F90 solution and get it compiled and run.

I went back and checked and my VS2017 and Fortran XE still works, so I'm all set.