Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28629 Discussions

Will Intel IVF work with Xeon with EM64

blamm
Beginner
I'm considering evaluating Windows XP64 on Intel Xeon with EM64T, and want to know if Intel IVF will run on that kind of platform.
Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Short answer: yes
longer answer: the 64-bit compiler is downloadable after you open an account on premier.intel.com, and requires a corresponding Microsoft PSDK. It can coexist with the 32-bit compiler.
medium length answer: use the search window at the top of your screen.
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the response.
Is the 64 bit compiler to which you referred the IVF for EM64T?
I already have an Intel Premier Account as I use MKL and IVF commercial license versions. EM64T IVF shows in my downloads, so I assume I am licensed to use it.
What MS PSDK do I need? The latest PSDK I have is February 2003 (which is registered with MSVS.NET 2003). I also have PSDK for Windows XP SP2, but have not registered it with MSVS.NET 2003.
Correct if I'm wrong, but the 64bit IVF will not yet integrate with MSVS.NET 2003, right?
I'm lazy Tim, so I thought I would ask you before doing the search you suggested.
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The compiler with a filename starting with w_fce is the EM64T compiler. The "February 2003" PSDK is not adequate. Microsoft has now released a new PSDK which you can use. Until we release an update to the compiler, you will have to hand-edit the ifortvars.bat file to call the setenv.cmd file from the PSDK (MS changed the name of the file.)

Message Edited by sblionel on 05-05-2005 12:51 PM

0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Thanks Steve and Tim,
I downloaded the PSDK you hyperlinked right after reading Tim's response.
I also did as Tim suggested and searched for Intel Visual Fortran 64 bit and got a page wherein it was indicated I would have to use Windows 2003 Server 64 bit if one wanted to develop on systems using Intel EM64T
It reads:
"For development on systems using Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T), only Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems is supported."
So it would seem I Cannot use IVF for EM64T to develop on a platform comprised of Xeon plus MS Windows XP 64 bit edition. So, the short answer is, apparently, "No", correct?
Brian
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Thanks Steve and Tim,
I downloaded the PSDK you hyperlinked right after reading Tim's response.
I also did as Tim suggested and searched for Intel Visual Fortran 64 bit and got a page wherein it was indicated I would have to use Windows 2003 Server 64 bit if one wanted to develop on systems using Intel EM64T
It reads:
"For development on systems using Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T), only Windows Server 2003 for 64-bit Extended Systems is supported."
So it would seem I Cannot use IVF for EM64T to develop on a platform comprised of Xeon plus MS Windows XP 64 bit edition. So, the short answer is, apparently, "No", correct?
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, you can develop on Windows XP x64. At the time that kit was put together we had not yet tested on XP x64. While we haven't done much with it, we consider it to be the same as Windows Server 2003 (which in fact it is based on) for the purpose of our compilers. Future releases will name XP x64 as supported.
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Thanks Steve!
Does Intel have any plans on developing an IVF for "straight" 64 bit, not necessarily for EM64T, that will be able to be used with Windows XP x64?
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I don't understand the question. Windows XP x64 is for EM64T/AMD64 only. If you want Windows for a "full 64 bit architecture", your only choice is Windows Server 2003 for Intel Itanium, which we do support.

The EM64T compiler generates code for the 64-bit mode of those processors. What else were you looking for?
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
You didn't understand the question probably because I didn't know what I was talking (writing) about.
The IVF Not for EM64Thas support for Itanium, so that's the IVF one would need to build "straight" (non-EM64T) 64 bit apps using Windows Server 2003 64-bit on Itanium?
Does the Itanium processor go by any other names? I can't find mention of Itanium at, for example, Dell.
Many Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Dell sells lots of Itanium systems, but they're all servers. See here, for example. SGI sells an Itanium workstation.

We have three compilers, one for each of IA-32, Itanium and EM64T. For 8.1, the EM64T compiler is "off to the side", a separate download. For 9.0, all three will be supplied in the same product package.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with your looking at Itanium, but what do you think is lacking on the EM64T systems?
0 Kudos
blamm
Beginner
Steve,
I don't know enough yet to answer that. I don't believe EM64T is lacking at all, in fact I Like the idea of having the capability of running 32 and 64 bit apps on one machine, and I also like the idea of being able to build apps for both 32 and 64 bit environments. So, I have absolutely nothing "telling" me EM64T is lacking in any way.
9.0?! Fantastic! When is the debut?
Thanks again,
Brian
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Mid-June. Lots of nice things coming...
0 Kudos