Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

analysis, refactoring et reengineering tools for Fortran

coolweather
Beginner

Hello,

Could you advice me analysis, refactoring et reenginieering tools for Fortran et C/C++, please ?

commercial or not, the essential criteria are productivity, efficiency and visual studio integration.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you would enter the question into your search engine (maybe with better spelling), you will see little intersection of the results with visual studio, but plenty of fodder for narrowing your question.

0 Kudos
coolweather
Beginner

TimP (Intel) wrote:
If you would enter the question into your search engine (maybe with better spelling), you will see little intersection of the results with visual studio, but plenty of fodder for narrowing your question.

thanks, I've already tryed to question my search engine. there are so many different tools. and it is difficult to define what is better. for that reason I would like to ask intel fortran developers what do they use and prefer ?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I haven't observed a high level of usage of most tools in those categories.  In part, it's a reflection of the higher level of continuity and backward compatibility of Fortran compilers than is possible in other programming languages.  I'm suggesting you tell us more specifically what you have in mind.  The buzzwords you quote evidently mean different things to various people.

Among the more widely undertaken tasks in the past were projects to employ features of current Fortran such as modules, generic interface, iso C interoperability, or array notation, or supply generic wrappers to legacy libraries, e.g. blas95.  Among the advantages of Fortran is it's entirely feasible to perform modernization incrementally.

I can't tell from your buzzwords whether you include efforts which are more widely undertaken nowadays such as parallelization (typically by combinations of MPI and OpenMP) and the return of vectorization.  Although automated tools have been discussed for decades, they haven't achieved a high level of success.

Anecdotal evidence suggests the following are among the more popular tools related to Fortran:

http://www.polyhedron.com/tools

The following listing also includes some in these categories:

http://www.fortran.com/tools.html

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I've already tryed to question my search engine. there are so many different tools. and it is difficult to define what is better. for that reason I would like to ask intel fortran developers what do they use and prefer ?

There are so many different tools because there are so many different Fortran programmers.

The attribute "better" is highly dependent on the individual programmer's individual choices. Your question cannot be answered unless, as TimP has already remarked, you express your needs more specifically. When a Fortran programmer visits his physician, he/she probably does not ask the doctor to give him/her the same prescription as is given to "all Fortran programmers".

0 Kudos
coolweather
Beginner

TimP (Intel) wrote:
features of current Fortran such as modules, generic interface, iso C interoperability, or array notation, or supply generic wrappers to legacy libraries, e.g. blas95.  Among the advantages of Fortran is it's entirely feasible to perform modernization incrementally. I can't tell from your buzzwords whether you include efforts which are more widely undertaken nowadays such as parallelization (typically by combinations of MPI and OpenMP) and the return of vectorization.  Although automated tools have been discussed for decades, they haven't achieved a high level of success.

sorry that I did not detail the tasks : that are modules, genetic interfaces, iso C/Fortran mixed programming, array notation and visualisation, certainly MKL, IMSL, MPI, OpenMP, and programming Xeon Phy as well.

many assistance can be done with intel performance tools (VTune, Inspector, Advisor). but I'm searching also the tools increasing the productivity for exemple like ReSharper for .NET.
is there a similar thing for Intel Fortran / Visual studio ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Fortran code coverage analysis is usually done by facilities offered by individual compilers e.g.

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/collateral/hpc/compilers/code_coverage_tool.pdf

Fortran compilers to generate .net code didn't ever really catch on; ifort supports only unmanaged code.  If that excludes Fortran from the realm you meant by your buzzwords, you should so state.

0 Kudos
coolweather
Beginner

TimP (Intel) wrote:
Fortran compilers to generate .net code didn't ever really catch on; ifort supports only unmanaged code.  If that excludes Fortran from the realm you meant by your buzzwords, you should so state.

I don't want to do .NET managed code with Intel Fortran )
I'm just searching some productivity, the features like those ones http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/index.html
or perhaps something similar that was done for Visual Studio C++. 

0 Kudos