Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort**

fabfenix
Novice

Hi,

I am getting a catastrophic error when compiling my code. I have narrowed down the problem to the two attached files, kinds_mod.f90 and types_mod.f90.

kinds_mod.f90 has to be compiled first and compilation works. Compiling types_mod.f90 gives the error.

The problem is occurring for the compiler version 18.0.5.274, but does not occur on the 16.0 version.

I have not tested this particular example on the latest compiler version, but there is a good chance that it show the same error, as my entire code (much larger than this example) gives this error on the latest parallel studio XE downloadable version.

Thanks in advance for having a look at this problem.

Below the build log.

<HTML><HEAD><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-16" http-equiv="Content-Type"></HEAD><BODY><PRE></pre><table width=100% bgcolor=#E0E0E0><tr><td><font face=arial size=+2> Build Log </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#E0E0E0>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=white>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre><h3> Build started: Project: Console1, Configuration: Debug|x64 </h3></pre></table><table width=100% bgcolor=#E0E0E0><tr><td><font face=arial size=+1> Output </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#E0E0E0>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=white>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 18.0.5.274 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:&quotx64\Debug\\&quot /object:&quotx64\Debug\\&quot /Fd&quotx64\Debug\vc150.pdb&quot /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,&quotC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\\bin\amd64&quot /Qm64 &quotD:\VSbug\types_mod.f90&quot
101004_1855

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for D:\VSbug\types_mod.f90 (code 1)

Console1 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
</PRE></BODY></HTML>

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

Fixed in next compiler release 2021.7

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

No errors with Intel Fortran 19.1 64 bit on Windows 10 X64.

0 Kudos
fabfenix
Novice

I just tested the same example with 19.1 and I get the same error.

Do you mind sharing your compiler options?

Build log is below.

<HTML><HEAD><meta content="text/html; charset=utf-16" http-equiv="Content-Type"></HEAD><BODY><PRE></pre><table width=100% bgcolor=#E0E0E0><tr><td><font face=arial size=+2> Build Log </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#E0E0E0>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=white>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre><h3> Build started: Project: Console1, Configuration: Debug|x64 </h3></pre></table><table width=100% bgcolor=#E0E0E0><tr><td><font face=arial size=+1> Output </font></table><table width=* cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td width=0 bgcolor=#E0E0E0>&nbsp;</td><td width=0 bgcolor=white>&nbsp;</td><td width=*><pre>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.1.1.216 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:&quotx64\Debug\\&quot /object:&quotx64\Debug\\&quot /Fd&quotx64\Debug\vc150.pdb&quot /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,&quotC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023\bin\HostX64\x64&quot /Qm64 &quotD:\VSbug\types_mod.f90&quot
101004_1856

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for D:\VSbug\types_mod.f90 (code 1)

Console1 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
</PRE></BODY></HTML>

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 19.0.4.245 [IA-32]...
types_mod.f90
101004_1856
compilation aborted for C:\Users.....\types_mod.f90 (code 1)

That is what I got, it was a 32bit build BTW

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
module types_mod

character(*),parameter :: undefCH     = "undefined"
integer,parameter      :: len_stdStrD = 32
integer,parameter      :: chlen_var1  = len_stdStrD

type var1_type 
    character(chlen_var1) :: name = undefCH
endtype var1_type
type(var1_type),parameter :: var1_def = var1_type( undefCH )

integer,parameter :: chlen_data_ricz = 100
type data_ricz_type
    character(100) :: cs1
endtype data_ricz_type
type(data_ricz_type), parameter :: data_ricz_def = data_ricz_type( undefCH )

endmodule types_mod

This slightly reduced example also fails in the same way.

fabfenix
Novice
0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@fabfenix ,

Hope you can report the "internal compiler error" (always a compiler bug) to Intel Support.  Since the bug resolution can take some time and it may be several version updates before a fix becomes available to you, you may want to look at workarounds to this issue.  Here's one you can consider where the default initialization of components in the derived type declaration is utilized to setup the named constant:

module types_mod

character(*),parameter :: undefCH     = "undefined"
   integer,parameter      :: len_stdStrD = 32
   integer,parameter      :: chlen_var1  = len_stdStrD

type var1_type
      character(chlen_var1) :: name = undefCH
   end type var1_type
   type(var1_type),parameter :: var1_def = var1_type()

integer,parameter :: chlen_data_ricz = 100
   type data_ricz_type
      character(100) :: cs1 = undefCH
   end type data_ricz_type
   type(data_ricz_type), parameter :: data_ricz_def = data_ricz_type()

end module types_mod

fabfenix
Novice

Thanks!

I reported the problem and they filed a bug: CMPLRIL0-33078. They mentioned they could reproduce the problem also on Linux.

In the meantime I will either revert to an older compiler version (e.g. 16), or use the suggestion proposed by FortranFan.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I compiled with the command

ifort /Zs /c kinds_mod.f90 types_mod.f90

To the explicitly listed options would have been added the options /traceback /MD that are in my ifort.cfg file. 

Did the VS builder compile kinds_mod.f90 first?

0 Kudos
fabfenix
Novice

Glad to see above that someone else is getting the error. At least it is not only me.

I tried with the command line, and I am getting the same error.

With VS (version 2017) I am first compiling kinds_mod.f90 (right click on the file, compile), and then types_mod.90. And compiling the second file gives the error.

Again, these two files follow my attempts to isolate the problem in a much more complex code.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

With your options, I too see the ICE.  Please file a formal problem report with Intel Support. I also get the ICE if I use any option for compiling other than /Zs, or no option at all.

Devorah_H_Intel

Fixed in next compiler release 2021.7

0 Kudos