Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

coarray distributed memory library

AShte
Beginner
I've successfully used a coarray library with shared memory and ifort 12. Now I've got licence for distributed memory and ifort 14, but my coarray library doesn't work anymore. I can compile and run standalone coarray code with distributed memory. However, I'm not clear how to use the coarray-config-file with the library. A typical scenario: I have coarray library code under ~/project/lib and coarray code using the library under ~/project/tests. I compile under ~/project/lib with ifort -c -coarray=distributed -debug full -free -fPIC -warn all I put the resulting module files under ~/project/modules. I put the resulting object files into a unix archive and under ~/project/libs. Then under ~/project/tests I build and link the coarray code using the library code like this: ifort -c z.f90 -coarray=distributed -I~/project/modules -coarray-config-file=ca.conf -debug full -warn all ifort -o z.x z.o -coarray=distribued -L~/project/libs -l I get an executable, but when I run it with this ca.conf: -envall -n 64 ./z.x 4 4 and with an appropriate PBS script, I get various runtime errors, e.g.: rank 0 in job 1 node32-034_45144 caused collective abort of all ranks exit status of rank 0: killed by signal 9 I will investigate the code, of course, but just wanted to check that I'm using the logic of -coarray-config-file correctly for building/linking coarray library code. Thanks Anton
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

In your description, the "link" step has "distributed" spelled incorrectly; I assume that's a transcription error.

That aside - your basic syntax looks fine.

The configuration file is an MPI configuration file; it's not a secret that we use MPI as the underlying transport mechanism.  If you suspect the problem is in the underlying transport, you can use the I_MPI_DEBUG environment variable to help get more info.

This configuration file does not look like it "distributes".  That it, I might have expected -hostX options.

What happens if you use the configuration file, but shared memory?  Does your program still fail?

--Lorri

0 Kudos
AShte
Beginner
Thank you for the confirmation. I think this is the same problem as in my PR: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/489052 What happens is that because remote reads take so long, the program exceeds the queue allocation. The error message then reflects that. I have no problems with shared memory runs. In fact I only got access to the distributed memory licence this week, so these are my first attempts to move from shared to distributed memory, and from ifort 12 to 14. I'll try I_MPI_DEBUG though. Thanks Anton
0 Kudos