Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

coarray_samples accompanying IVF Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3 not running properly

Gustavo_C_1
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile and run the coarray example found in the Samples directory. What I have here is IVF Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3, Visual Studio Professional 2012 (11.0.61030.00 update 4) and MS Windows 10 Home Single Language (64 bits). My processor is Core i5-4210U (dual core).

When I build and run the application using the VS solution found in coarray_samples.zip, all I see is a black terminal window with no output that will stay open until killed. The Windows task manager shows four coarray_samples.exe processes.

I understand my compiler version is a bit old but this is what I have and I would like to make it work, if possible. Any ideas?

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Truth to tell, that isn't much of an example of coarrays - it doesn't contain any - but it should run and produce output. I'll take a look tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

What I see when I compile with the 14.0.4 compiler (what you are using) is that I get a series of MPI errors. If I compile with the current 16.0, it runs fine. Because of the way things get installed, I am using the MPI runtime from the current release - I don't have the older one around. I'm not sure why the MPI errors occur now - this example was tested when the 14.0 compiler was released - but there's not much to be done about it. You might want to uninstall Fortran, delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\mpirt and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\mpirt folders, then reinstall. Make sure you don't have anyone else's MPI on PATH.

0 Kudos
Gustavo_C_1
Beginner

Thank you for your time, Steve.

I actually did as you say in the day I posted my question here. It still doesn't work.

Could you recommend something for me to try to isolate the problem? For instance, does it make sense to try to run the executable from the example with mpiexec? I did this and the result is the same. Could it be that my problem here is with MPI? I could try to resolve this if you could give me some further advice.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Gustavo - Are you committed to IVF Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3 or could you perhaps upgrade to the latest Parallel Studio XE 2016 release?

If you could upgrade, that might help resolve the issue. You would have to use the 16.0 compiler with the MPI run-time from the 2016 release to avoid the scenario Steve described, assuming you left in place the IVF Composer XE 2013 SP1.

If you want to try trouble-shooting what you currently have installed then maybe something else to review is the Getting Started with Intel® MPI Library for Windows* OS and follow some advices in Chapter 2 regarding checking services.

You could, outside of the IDE, under a properly initialized ifort command-prompt window run the MPI executable using mpiexe. Chapter 2 of the Getting Started guide also discusses how to do that. You can substitute mpiifort.bat for what is discussed about using mpicc.bat also to compile from the command-line.

You might already be aware of this but I wanted to mention it. There is a tutorial for the Coarray sample available here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/590553. This discusses compiling and altering the number of images. You could review to ensure the necessary build options are set.

Hope some of this helps.

0 Kudos
Gustavo_C_1
Beginner

Thank you, Kevin. I'll see what I can do.

0 Kudos