Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26734 Discussions

command line install of Intel Fortran Compiler v10 for Mac under OS Sierra

Harry_C_
Beginner

I have an old Intel Fortran Compiler that is no longer supported (v 10 Standard on DVD) but works fine for maintaining some legacy codes that I still occasionally use.  I'd like to move it to a new Mac running OS 10.12 (Sierra), but the installer (Intel Software Setup Assistant) stalls after launching and I cannot complete the installation.

This is not uncommon and I have run into the same problem with some Adobe Creative Suite software, and some Garmin mapping software.  There is usually a work around, a command line (Terminal) install from a DVD.  And it's usually one line.  It could take me a long time to sort this out, and I don't really want to buy a new compiler just to get support when the one I have is adequate (my codes are all Fortran 77/90).  So I'd appreciate any help if there is some retired Intel support guru out there with nothing better to do!

Thanks, Harry

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The problem with MacOS is that major and many minor updates break third-party applications and installers. There is no command line install that I know of, and version 10 will almost certainly not work with the XCode you have on the new Mac.

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I had methods for a command-line installation for mounting our .dmg and running a command line installer that worked with our version 11.x and earlier on much earlier OS X* releases but I have no confidence this would work today on macOS 10.12 for reasons Steve pointed out.