Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

devenv with vfproj flaps

Groos__Geoff
Beginner

Hey guys,

I've got a small project that makes heavy use of submodules. Some percentage of the time it builds without error. Some percentage of the time it fails with a set of nonsensical errors, with the first error being "Error in opening the compiled parent submodule file."

I'm using 2017 update 8, and my license has expired, and I do not wish to upgrade it.

I'm wondering if this is as simple as a file-handle race, and if it could be solved with something as simple as a sleep statement between file compilation passes.

Many thanks,

-Geoff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Are you using the /MP parallel build option? I have seen issues in the past with contention between build processes. It could also be that the module dependency order isn't correct. Check the build log of a failed build to see if the order is right.

Another possibility is antivirus software opening and locking files as they are created to check for viruses. I usually tell my AV program to not scan my build areas.

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

I read this post and it occurs to me that my solution used to parallel build and now does not. I noted /MP parallel build option default is off in my solution so I guess it used to be default on? Anyway, I set /MP and it had no effect. Is it disabled/no longer used?