Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

devenv with vfproj flaps

Groos__Geoff
Beginner

Hey guys,

I've got a small project that makes heavy use of submodules. Some percentage of the time it builds without error. Some percentage of the time it fails with a set of nonsensical errors, with the first error being "Error in opening the compiled parent submodule file."

I'm using 2017 update 8, and my license has expired, and I do not wish to upgrade it.

I'm wondering if this is as simple as a file-handle race, and if it could be solved with something as simple as a sleep statement between file compilation passes.

Many thanks,

-Geoff

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Are you using the /MP parallel build option? I have seen issues in the past with contention between build processes. It could also be that the module dependency order isn't correct. Check the build log of a failed build to see if the order is right.

Another possibility is antivirus software opening and locking files as they are created to check for viruses. I usually tell my AV program to not scan my build areas.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I read this post and it occurs to me that my solution used to parallel build and now does not. I noted /MP parallel build option default is off in my solution so I guess it used to be default on? Anyway, I set /MP and it had no effect. Is it disabled/no longer used?

0 Kudos