Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

executable file not responding

Suphanit
Beginner

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my executable file not responding on my work PC (sometimes it could run, but most of the time it's not responding and I cannot tell why). The compilation of fortran code appears finished on the command prompt, it produces all associated files and out.exe as expected, and starts a new line ready for the next command. But when I run out.exe then nothing happens. If I try right click on this out.exe, then my file explorer and command prompt become not responding-- I have to force shutdown the PC, cannot even do a proper shutdown.

This is an MPI fortran job. (I run this on multiple processors on a PC). I'm using Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Windows, MPI  library 2019 update 8. This PC has no internet connection as it stores confidential data-- I've installed visual studio version 2015 offline for this. This PC has Windows 10, 64-bit. Note that the Intel compiler was installed in drive C, but I run a job using data stored in an external drive D.  Could the problem with my work PC be caused by the fact that the compiler is in drive C while my code and data are in another drive? The data is too large to fit drive C. I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this. A few times, I could run this job fine on my work PC, but quite often the executable file is not responding.

Also, the same code could run fine on my personal laptop which has the same intel compiler installed (but with visual studio 2019 though I never use visual studio for code writing). The main difference is that both data and intel are in drive C on my laptop. 

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Suphanit

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This has nothing to do with the compiler or where files are. The behavior you describe suggests to me that your application is asking for so much virtual memory that your work PC has run out of physical RAM and is busily swapping other processes out to try to resolve that. 

Try starting the Resource Monitor before you run your program, click on Memory, and watch the display when you run the program.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

This has nothing to do with the compiler or where files are. The behavior you describe suggests to me that your application is asking for so much virtual memory that your work PC has run out of physical RAM and is busily swapping other processes out to try to resolve that. 

Try starting the Resource Monitor before you run your program, click on Memory, and watch the display when you run the program.

0 Kudos
Suphanit
Beginner

Thanks. I've checked resource monitor and no memory or RAM was used at all when I typed mpiexec -n 4 out.exe.

One thing I noticed is that after compiling my code if I could right click the executable file out.exe and get the usual options when you right click some file, then the job would run fine when I mpiexec it. However, when out.exe doesn't respond to a right click, even though the compilation appears finished on the command prompt, then when I submit the job, it would go into this non-responding mode that I described. Nothing is running, no memory or RAM is used, command prompt not responding, ctrl+c to terminate the job doesn't do anything and I just have to do a force shutdown this PC. But this doesn't always happen, about 20% of the time I could run this same code fine. Can I rule out anti-virus software causing this since 20% of the time I could run this fortran code fine?

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

If, as you said,

"Nothing is running, no memory or RAM is used, command prompt not responding, ctrl+c to terminate the job doesn't do anything and I just have to do a force shutdown this PC."

you should perhaps look into hardware problems as the culprit.

I have experienced similar behavior when using a PS2-USB cable adapter with the keyboard or mouse. Such problems can also occur if the program uses the CPU intensively and the CPU fan/heat-sink are unable to cope. Investigating such problems can be difficult, as it may depend on your expertise and experience.

0 Kudos