Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

exporting project properties

deeppow
Beginner
Is there a way to list (export) the Visual Studio options (including complier, linker, etc.) for my Intel Visual Fortran project?

I've done some searching and most likely due to a bad choice of key words can't find info. This probably isn't the right place to ask so my apologizes but a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It's a fine place to ask.

It depends on what you want to do with the options. If you want to record them for reference, go to the Command Line property page for Fortran and Linker and copy the options shown. If you want to apply these settings to a new project, well, that's harder. The .vfproj file contains the settings but it's not something you can "apply" to another project.
0 Kudos
deeppow
Beginner
Thanks Steve. That helps. In this case it is for communication/reference with someone overseas so command lines will do nicely.
0 Kudos
vriesdwj
Beginner
Hi,

You say it's harder to apply the current settings to a new project.
In our current environment in CVF we had to make quite some changes in the properties to make it all work.
It looks this will not be very different in IVF.
We are starting to convert about 50 projects from CVF to IVF so it would be a great help if there is a way.
Is there?

Regards,
Wilco de Vries.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Here's a way. Create a "blank solution" in Visual Studio and add all your project .vfproj files. Hold down the shift key and select all of the projects in the solution, then right click on one and select Properties. Any property you change here will be applied to all selected projects.

I'd be curious to know what sort of changes you feel you have to make.

I will note that when you do the "Extract Compaq Visual Fortran Project Items" tool, it applies some different defaults to more closely match CVF, including changing calling convention and argument passing settings. I'd recommend setting those back to default unless you know you need the CVF conventions.

0 Kudos
deeppow
Beginner
I didn't find it. if it exists Steve's answer above is probably the best you'll get.

My problem is easier, only 1 project not 50. Plus all within IVF.

For communication with coworker, I just copied the command lines and emailed. To build a new version while leaving the old alone, I copied the old folder (high level so I got everything - source files plus all others are within it - other schemes could easily be simpler) and made changes within the project as needed. Changes tend to be minimal so doing it by hand is straight forward.

My limited requirements haven't required me to spend more time on the issue but I would be very interested if you find a better/easier solution.
0 Kudos
Steve_Nuchia
New Contributor I

As an alternativeto creating a blank solution you can create a "solution folder" to gather all the IVF projects together and make bulk editing their property sheets a little easier. Solution folders look like folder nodes in the tree view but have no significance outside of that view. They have some handy context menu items associated with them and that's about it.

Be aware that the IVF property sheet mechanism (at least in 10.1.019) is very clunky. With 25 projects and Debug+Release and Win32+x64 all selected it takes many seconds to modify a setting. Also, I have to restart studio frequently while working on FORTRAN settings because it will just decide I can't edit them any more or the display goes quietly insane. It occasionallystops allowing some changesfor other project types as well. If itpops up an error telling you that the value you're trying to set is not allowed just save your work and restart.

It would be very nice if we could get support for .vsprops inheritance. My 200 C++ projects are easier to manage than my 25 fortran projects.

0 Kudos