Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

how do I get Visual studio 2015 ?

WSinc
New Contributor I

It takes me to a page that has the original one, and the three updates.

(this is after the down arrow that says Download VS 2015)

But when I click on one of these update, it only gives me information.

There is no link that I can see that actually does the download, just information.

Is there a special trick? I thought it was free.

I cant use a later version, since the source code (Fortran) interface is broken.

Otherwise I would buy the most recent one.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Do you need any of the Microsoft compilers (VB, VC, etc.?) If not, then uninstall all versions of Visual Studio and reinstall Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 - it includes a Fortran development environment based on VS2015.

Otherwise, you can get VS2015 Community Edition for free here. You will need to join Microsoft's free Dev Essentials program (link is on that page.) Make sure that you qualify for the Community Edition license.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I clicked on the "for free here," but it gives me the same page I had before that doesnt actually download anything.

Doesnt matter which of the updates  click on, it only gives me information.

I thought I already had a license.

How can I check that ?

Is it trying to tell me I dont have one ?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I teried that "free devlopment essentials" link, but it kept trying to get me to download that totally useless

Visual Studio 2017. (15,8,0)

You would think they are prejudice against Fortran programmers.

Why doesnt it show the screen shot I uploaded here ?

I will upload it again.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That looks like the right thing to me.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

So how do I get Visual Studio ?

I uninstalled VS 2013 update 6 according to mecej4, but now I am dead in the water.

apparently all my projects were using that version.

I dont mind paying for it, but I need to get something that WORKS.

Those "free" downloads dont do anything. I thought I had a license.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

They keep trying to get me to download the VS with the BROKEN fortran interface.

Is there a way around that ?

Maybe another vendor can sell me something that works.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Before doing the steps given below, make sure that you have a Microsoft Dev Essentials account, as Steve instructed in #2. 

2. Look for "Still want an older version?" and, below that, "2015".

3. Click on "2015". The panel will be expanded to show a number of downloads, and a Download button, as in the attached screenshot

4. Click on the Download button, and you may be asked to log in to the Microsoft Dev Essentials account, if you are not already logged in.

5. You can then select the desired download (you probably need Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 3 for x64), download and install.
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, they do something. Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition has everything you need for use with Fortran (but see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-visual-studio-2015-for-use-with-intel-compilers)

You never answered my question about whether you need the full Visual Studio, or can work with the Fortran-only environment provided by Parallel Studio XE.

VS2015 will read your VS2013 projects.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well I was able to install INTEL parallel studio 2018 - latest update.

But I dont see an executable I can actually run.

Is that supposed to be a separately executable program, where I dont need anything else ?.

I am only using Fortran source code.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Did you install VS2015 Community, and select to install VC++ desktop development as an option? If so, read on.

On my Windows 10 X64 PC, this works:

Press the Windows key, then 'V'.Choose "Visual Studio 2015".

You may find a short cut with the VS logo (a flattened infinity?) under Intel Parallel Studio 2018. With older versions of Visual Studio, if you had the Start Menu list sorted by name, under M (for Microsoft). Now it is under 'V'.

During installation, did you choose not to install a short cut to Visual Studio on your desktop?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I pressed the WINDOW key and "V" but nothing happens.

No choices, nothing. 

That web site with the older Visual Studios DOES NOT give any way to actually download anything.

This is why a remote assist would be helpful..

Why does this have to be so ****ing difficult ?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

That Web site that Steve mentioned does not do anything.

This is why we need remote assist.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Bill, I think you need more than remote assist.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I followed the steps mecej4 described in post #8. Worked for me exactly as it had for him to download VS2015 Community Edition. 

If pressing Windows and then V brings up nothing, then you don't have a Visual Studio installed. Go back to post 8 and follow through. You will have to sign up for a free Dev Essentials account.

Or, as I keep suggesting, once you have completely removed all Visual Studio versions from your system (and also delete folders Microsoft Visual Studio x.x from under Program Files (x86)), uninstall and reinstall Intel Parallel Studio XE and allow it to install the VS2015-based Fortran development environment.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I tried quote #8 again (for the 4th time), and this is what I get.

(see screen shot)

as you can see, it points to an executable, but does not give me a way to actually execute it.

also, I looked at where it is supposed to be, and there is no executable there.

I dont think it ever tried to download an executable for me to click on.

That would be in DOWNLOADS, right ? Where else could it be ?

So what is in YOUR environment, that allows YOURS to work, and your suggestions all fail ?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, I looked again, and so far there is no attempt to load that humongous executable it points to.

However, even after I had VS 2017 installed, the "windows V" command does NOTHING.

This is why we need remote assist.

I think over the weekend, you had to have something on the INTEL side that does the installations,

and it was not running for some reason.   Is it running right now ?

Can you PLEASE ASK some MKL guru what is the purpose of that missing entry point it wants to point to?

That would be an important clue - especially since it keeps telling me on the build "no errors."

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

As has been said before, it is pointless to ask about the "purpose" of the entry point. 

There is nothing at Intel that controls your ability to install either Intel Parallel Studio nor Microsoft Visual Studio. At most you might have an issue activating the license, but once you have a license file on your system that isn't a problem.

If I follow the steps in post 8 I see:

Screenshot_8.jpg

Click on the Download button, not the name of the product.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

OK, do you know why on your computer, you see boxes next to EXE files, while I dont on my computer ?

If this might be a licensing issue, where can I go to check if I have the CORRECT current license?

I have had a license since MAY, but it might not be the right one, or right kind.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

"Boxes next to EXE files"? I don't know what you refer to.

As for licenses, if you have a license that was good in May, it's fine now. Since you were able to install and use Parallel Studio XE 2018, there's nothing more you need to do as regards licenses.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Bill, is the blue-shaded rectangle with "Download" in white in the middle of #18 what you call "box"? If so, what you have to do is to click inside that "box". That will download the file from the Microsoft server and save the EXE file either in the default download location on your PC for your browser or, if you use "save as", to a location of your choosing on your choosing. You have probably done similar downloads several times over the years.

After the download is completed, which may take considerable time, you may be asked if you want the downloaded file to be run. Or, you may have to navigate to the download folder where you had the EXE saved, and run the EXE. In either case, you will then have to give several inputs to choose which parts of Visual Studio you want installed.

0 Kudos