Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

how to build mpich with intel fortran compiler

joegi_geo
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm trying to build mpich with intel fortran compiler but I have problems with mpif90. When I try to compile a code using mpif90I always get this error:

[guerrero@magnus basic]$ ../../bin/mpif90 -c pi3f90.f90
../../bin/mpif90: line 332: eval: -c: invalid option
eval: usage: eval [arg ...]

All the others modules works fine (mpif77, mpicc, mpic**, and so on).

To build mpich I did the following:

#> export F90=ifc
#> export RSHCOMMAND=ssh

#> ./configure
#> make
#> make install

Hope you can help me,

Joel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You would need to be certain that the Intel Fortran is working, with its environment variables set, when configuring, building, and running MPI, and when building codes with mpif77 or mpif90. Also, I think you must build both mpif77 and mpif90 with the Intel Fortran, rather than permittingmpif77 to default to g77, should that be present on your system.
This may not be relevant, but for lam I sometimes have built mpif77 with Intel Fortran, and made mpif90 a symlink to mpif77.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This question mightbe answeredsooneron the new High Performance Computing Forum.
0 Kudos
bourdin
Beginner
Are you still trying to do that?
I have done it multiple time, and it is quite long to explain.
Let me know if you are still seeking help.

Blaise
0 Kudos
shawng
Beginner
Hello, I am interested in hearing how you were able to compile mpich with the intel fortran compiler. I have been desperately trying to compile it with no success. (running Fedora Core 2 - ifc v 7.1 (works fine) - I also have icc if that is needed).

I have been using the config as follows:
export CC=gcc
export FC="ifc -Vaxlib"
export F90="ifc -Vaxlib"
export F77="ifc -Vaxlib"
export RSHCOMMAND=ssh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mpich-1.2.6 --enable-f90modules

(I also get an error: ld: cannot find -lmpichf90 when trying to use the mpif90 that results from the above compilation).

Thanks for your help!
- Shawn
0 Kudos
yibingxin
Beginner
Hi,
I have the same problem when using mpif90 :
$ ../../bin/mpif90 -c pi3f90.f90
../../bin/mpif90: line 332: eval: -c: invalid option
eval: usage: eval [arg ...]
The ifort is working fine withf90 source codes, but mpif90 failed to compile mpi files. The env vars are all set according to the mpich installation guide. Anyone can shed some light? My system is a linux cluster (16 nodes) running redhat 9, infort 8.1 and mpich 1.2.5. Thanks.
Yibing
0 Kudos
pmitev
Beginner
I had the same problem.
Make shure that you source "ifortvars.sh" to add the intel fortran libraries while you are compiling MPICH...
That solved the problem for me.

Regards
0 Kudos