Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

ifc7-7.1-8 problems with Red Hat 8.0

puppy_
Beginner
Hi, I am running Red Hat with all the latest upgrades.

I installed ifc7-7.1-8 and tried to run ifc. I am getting following errors:

(27)# ifc
/usr/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'

My glibc version is:

(30)# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.6
glibc-devel-2.3.2-4.80.6
glibc-2.3.2-4.80.6
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.20

What can I do?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Martyn_C_Intel
Employee
What were you expecting the compiler to do, when it has nothing to compile?
By default, ifc invokes the linker, which is warning (accurately) that you don't have a main program. You can suppress the link step with -c, in which case the compiler will just tell you that you have no files specified. (This is similar to what happens when you invoke g77 with no arguments).
If you supply a file to compile, e.g. ifc -c test.f, then both these messages will go away.
If you just want to get version information, you can type ifc -V. This still gives the message about no main program, but this will probably be suppressed in an upcoming compiler version.
I suppose that ifc without arguments could be made to behave the same way as ifc -V. Is that what you were expecting?

Martyn
0 Kudos
pablopo
Beginner
Thanks Martin, I was just about to post the same issue. Let me just point out though that some competitors (lf95 for instance) would have displayed options informations if invoked similarly...
Paolo
0 Kudos