Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

ifort: command line warning

Trupti
Beginner

ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-fallow-argument-mismatch'

I get the above error while using make command in CosmoMC/source directory.

Can anyone help me out with this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Trupti,

There is a dedicated forum for handling Fortran related issues (Intel® Fortran Compiler - Intel Community), where you can get better responses whether the flag is supported or not. I am redirecting this query to that forum.

Regards

Prasanth

mecej4
Black Belt

Trupti, you probably used a makefile that was created for use with Gfortran. Many compiler options are specific to a particular compiler. Read the Ifort documentation to find out which options will work for you.

The -fallow-argument-mismatch is discouraged even with Gfortran.  Better fix the source code in this case than search for compiler options.

sternbg
Beginner

User makefiles are not the culprit – The option is being stuffed into FCFLAGS by mpif90 itself, e.g., from:

<INTEL_ROOT>/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpif90

A simple mpif90 -V  unnecessarily triggers the warning:

$ env | grep I_MPI
I_MPI_F90=ifort
I_MPI_CC=icc
I_MPI_ROOT=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi

$ mpif90 --version
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-fallow-argument-mismatch'
ifort (IFORT) 18.0.3 20180410
Copyright (C) 1985-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

This sure looks to be a bug in the release scripts.

Here's an execution trace, filtered for some key lines:

$ bash -x `type -p mpif90` -V |& grep -E 'FC=|ver=|major=|-fallow|-gt'
+ FC=gfortran
+ FC=ifort
+ gfort_ver=18.0.3
+ major=18
+ gver=
+ '[' 18 -gt 9 ']'
+ FCFLAGS=' -fallow-argument-mismatch'
+ eval ifort -fallow-argument-mismatch ''\''-V'\''' -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/include/gfortran -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/include -L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib/release -L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib -Xlinker --enable-new-dtags -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib/release -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib -lmpifort -lmpi -lrt -lpthread -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Xlinker --enable-new-dtags -ldl
++ ifort -fallow-argument-mismatch -V -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/include/gfortran -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/include -L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib/release -L/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib -Xlinker --enable-new-dtags -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib/release -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mpi/intel64/lib -lmpifort -lmpi -lrt -lpthread -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Xlinker --enable-new-dtags -ldl

The opt stuffing is new as of version compilers_and_libraries_2020.x; the -gt version conditional inside mpif90 has been present in releases from previous years.

Michael

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

If I recall correctly, you want to use mpifort, not mpif90 (which assumes gfortran).