Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ifort creates empty ~/intel/ism/rm

Karl_Yngve_L_
Beginner

Whenever I run ifort it creates an empty directory tree "~/intel/ism/rm". I found https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/509368 forum thread from a year ago where Steve Lionel claims this should not happen and that the developers have been notified. However, this still happens today in the newest versions.

Is there any way to prevent this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have asked the developers again why this happens. I can't find a record of my earlier request.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The developers tell me that if the environment variable INTEL_DISABLE_ISIP  is defined, then the folder will not be created. Try that and let me know if it works for you. This is related to the anonymous usage collection feature that you can opt in to (you have to opt in, it is not enabled by default). I'd think that if you are not opted in that it shouldn't create the folder but it doesn't work that way for now.

0 Kudos
Karl_Yngve_L_
Beginner

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your attention to this issue. I've tried to export the environment variable INTEL_DISABLE_ISIP as you've suggested. I tried both "export INTEL_DISABLE_ISIP=1" in my shell and through my ".bashrc" file. But the folder is still created. Note that I did not opt in to the anonymous usage collection feature.

To be entirely specific, I do this:

export INTEL_DISABLE_ISIP=1
ifort <options> file.f90

And the "~/intel/ism/rm" is still being created.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I am now told that the INTEL_DISABLE_ISIP is relatively new, suggesting that you'd need compiler version 15.0.2 or 15.0.3. Which version are you using?

0 Kudos
Karl_Yngve_L_
Beginner
> ifort -V
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0 Build 20150407
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

It is unclear to me if my version is 15.0.2 or 15.0.3; it only says 15.0. I am not sure if the build date is based on when I installed it or if it is a date specific to the current version.

0 Kudos
Karl_Yngve_L_
Beginner

Update: The version I have installed might also be parsed from the install path, which is: "/opt/intel/composer_xe_2015.3.187"

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

That is update 3, but I don't understand why that wasn't displayed in the logo-banner.

What do you see with "ifort -v"  (that's a lower-case V, not upper case, for this question).

Build date is the day the compiler was built for the kit.

--Lorri

0 Kudos
Karl_Yngve_L_
Beginner
> ifort -v
ifort version 15.0.3

This displays the expected version 15.0.3.

0 Kudos