Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ifort with xCode3.1

Claus
Beginner
Hi,
I am new to XCode, just started using 3.1 with ifort 11.0
Maybe this question would fit better into a XCode forum, but unfortunately I haven't found one yet.

I am used to a folder structure like this
- ProjectA
- src [contains .f90 (pure source files and files with modules), .inc files]
- doc [contains documentation, sketches, flowcharts,...]
- inputfiles [contains input files or control files]
- outputfiles [contains whatever the program creates]
- Debug [whatever the debug mode creates]
- Release [whatever the release mode creates]
- ProjectB

Usually, I would use subversion on the whole ProjectA folder, but manage only the src folder (ignore the rest).
What I have done in XCode is added all the files of the src folder of ProjectA, and let it compile. It worked surprisingly smooth, even the module files seemed to have been dealt with as they should.
When I saved the XCode project, it created a folder under ProjectA (the XCode project), in which resides a file with extension .xcodeproj, a folder "build" and the mod file (I guess from a build done in XCode)

So far so good. Now, in my main .f90 file I want to open a control file. Ideally, this control file should reside under ProjectA/inputfiles. However, a build XCode is only successful if the control file resides in ProjectA/XCodeProject/build/Debug

Can I tell XCode that it should look in ProjectA/inputfiles, i.e. set the "workspace" to a different folder?
Or should I abandon my folder structure, and throw everything into a XCodeProject folder? I'd prefer not to do that, because on my MS machine, the folder structure works nicely.
I have looked into various menues that appear when I click the info button depending on if I choose the target or the source group, I changed some things that I thought might help, but unsuccessfully.

Thanks for your help,
Claus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

You can control the working directory under Xcode for a specific executable as follows:

Under Groups & Files, expand the Executables group (this is different from Target) by left double-clicking on Executables. Right-click on the executable name of interest and select Get info. You will see the Working directory selections under the General tab.

You can set working directory to your inputfiles directory and reference input/control files by name in OPEN statements.

You may not want to do that because the directory would be used by the program during execution and may be polluted with other files the program may open/close/remove.

Instead, you want to create another scratch directory at the same level as inputfiles, strictly for execution and set the working directory to that. Then modify OPEN statements touse a relative path like: ../inputfiles/

0 Kudos
Claus
Beginner
Thanks Kevin,
you pointed me to the right spot, the one I didn't see!
Thank you!

Claus
Quoting - Kevin Davis (Intel)

You can control the working directory under Xcode for a specific executable as follows:

Under Groups & Files, expand the Executables group (this is different from Target) by left double-clicking on Executables. Right-click on the executable name of interest and select Get info. You will see the Working directory selections under the General tab.

You can set working directory to your inputfiles directory and reference input/control files by name in OPEN statements.

You may not want to do that because the directory would be used by the program during execution and may be polluted with other files the program may opened/closed/remove.

Instead, you want to create another scratch directory at the same level as inputfiles, strictly for execution and set the working directory to that. Then modify OPEN statements touse a relative path like: ../inputfiles/

0 Kudos