Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

ifx error #5533 in simple subroutine call

Markus_O_
Novice

Dear Intel Team,

I get an ifx error #5533: Feature found on this line is not yet supported in ifx for a simple subroutine call:

tranlib.F90(695): error #5533: Feature found on this line is not yet supported in ifx 
      call daini( 1, cunits%IUNITS(10), cfname%FNAMES(10), async,options%FSORT )
-----------^
compilation aborted for tranlib.F90 (code 3)

Is this a bug or do we use a strange, unsupported feature? We are using the latest version of ifx:

[oppel@copper] (/public/copper/scratch/oppel/columbus/columbus): ifx --version
ifx (IFORT) 2022.2.0 20220730
Copyright (C) 1985-2022 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The code compiles smoothly using ifort

1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

I filed a bug on this, CMPLRLLVM-40907. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

It does compile OK with ifort. You can mix and match the obj and mod files between ifort and ifx. You could continue to make progress by using both compilers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Please supply a minimal, compilable example. There isn't much one can do with a one-line excerpt. 

0 Kudos
Markus_O_
Novice

Attached you can find the minimal source files needed.

The actual compile command is:

ifx -c   -nowarn  -qmkl=sequential -free -DJSC -DUNIX -DLINUX -DMILSTD1753 -DBIT64 -DFORMATDOLLAR -DBLAS2 -DBLAS3 -DPIPEMODE -DF90 -DF95 -DINT64 -DMOLCAS_INT64 -DNOENVSUPPORT -DGA50 -DMOLCAS_LABEL10  -i8 -O2 molcaswrapper.F90 paralib.F90 tranlib.F90 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

It is fascinating to read the old code, it was started in 1980.  

Tranlib is brilliant, you can see the progressions in the comments. 

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for reporting this. This message is actually indicates a compiler bug, an internal compiler error (ICE). I'm not sure why the compiler is not actually saying that.

Only tranlib.F90 has the error. The other 2 routines compile just fine, but tranlib.F90 needs the .mod files.

I'll get a bug filed shortly.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I filed a bug on this, CMPLRLLVM-40907. I'll let you know when it's fixed.

It does compile OK with ifort. You can mix and match the obj and mod files between ifort and ifx. You could continue to make progress by using both compilers.

0 Kudos
Markus_O_
Novice

Thanks for the tip about mixing ifx and ifort. I have encountered a couple of other, similar bugs, but compiling the particular subroutines with ifort finally led to a working binary.

Let's hope that we will have a stable ifx soon. We would like to test the new off-loading features.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

That's good news that mix 'n match worked for you. You can still mix 'n match and use OMP TARGET directives. Just compile those files with OMP TARGET with ifx and link with ifx.

If you have other problems with ifx, please post it here or if you have paid for Priority Support submit a ticket. The Fortran development team is eager to produce a reliable product!

Barbara_P_Intel

The ICE you reported using ifx is fixed in the latest release, 2023.1.0. This compiler is available as part of oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2023.1. Please give it a try!

0 Kudos