Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28463 Discussions

installing old IVF version on windows 11

ivf_171123
Beginner

I have a 9 year old version of IVF and am having a problem installing it on a new computer operating on windows 11.  It installed on windows 10 OK, so what is the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The current version of Intel Fortran is free of charge (paid support is optional). See the sticky post by Ron Green.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Ron_Green

It's not compatible. 

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

does that mean I would need to purchase a newer version? If so that's a pain.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The current version of Intel Fortran is free of charge (paid support is optional). See the sticky post by Ron Green.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback.  However, I tried installing both the Fortran compiler and Tool Kit following the advice given, but ran into difficulties, probably a result of not being familiar with a number of the technical terms.  Anyway what I am trying to do is install the software, w_fcompxe_2013_sp1.2.176.exe, which I purchase some 9 years ago.  I had it running on windows 8 and was able to transfer it to windows 10 around a year ago.  I have recently purchased a new laptop using windows 11 operating system and when I tried installing the intel package on it, it would not accept my security code.  Is there any way I can simply run the above exe file and have it installed on my new laptop without the hassle of installing new and almost certainly unfamiliar code?   

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

There 2013 is old, it is not supported on W11. I have not got the 2013 release notes to see what Visual Studio Versions are supported but I expect none of them are supported on W11.  Personally I think the path of least resistance is to install Visual Studio 2022 Community (free) and current OneAPI + HPC (also free). The experience using VS2022 will be different but is still similar to 2013 with similar processes and at least you get 10+ years of improvements and should be good for a few years more.  What were your installation issues?

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Appreciate the quick response.  I believe I installed Visual Studio 2022 Community without a problem, but when installing OneAPI + HPC, I received the following warning soon after the start of installation.

ivf_171123_0-1701011922528.png

What should I do before continuing?  I recall having to have C++ installed for the previous version.  I really would like the move from the old version of the Fortran which I have been using over the past few years to the new one to be as seamless as possible.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

When you install VS you must select C++ as there are some essential components of that needed e.g. windows sdk . Rerun the VS install and do modify and add C++ befor installing oneapi and hpc toolkit.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Thanks.  I carried out what you suggested, although I’m not sure whether or not I included all the necessary options which I might need for running Fortran.  When eventually running the downloaded software package, I noticed a few problems;  (1) it wouldn’t recognize projects I had previously made using the old IVF software,  (2) when creating a new project, there are a number (over a dozen) of choices for carrying out development, each one mentioning C++.  (Why isn’t there a Fortran option or do I use one of the C++?),  (3) when inputting one of my programs, the resource file was not recognized as such.  It was developed using the rather archaic approach for creating the file - a few lines of which are shown below -, rather than pictorially.   This resource file is very large, handling a hundred or so dialog boxes.

//

// Menu resources

//

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

CMNDLGMENU MENU

{

POPUP ""

{

MENUITEM "&Undo\tCtrl+Z", IDM_UNDO

MENUITEM SEPARATOR

MENUITEM "Cu&t\tCtrl+C", IDM_CUT

MENUITEM "&Copy\tCtrl+C", IDM_COPY

MENUITEM "&Paste\tCtrl+V", IDM_PASTE

}

IDD_APO DIALOG 0, 0, 392, 246

STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFONT | WS_CAPTION | WS_POPUP | WS_SYSMENU

CAPTION "Apodization characteristics:"

FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"

{

PUSHBUTTON      "OK", IDC_B_APO_OK, 255, 225, 40, 15

PUSHBUTTON      "Cancel", IDC_B_APO_CANCEL, 295, 225, 40, 15

GROUPBOX        "", IDC_STATIC, 15, 10, 370, 195

LTEXT           "Static", IDC_S_APO01, 25, 40, 25, 9, SS_LEFT

LTEXT           "Static", IDC_S_APO02, 25, 50, 25, 9, SS_LEFT

EDITTEXT        IDC_E_APO011, 51, 40, 45, 12, NOT WS_BORDER | ES_AUTOHSCROLL

EDITTEXT        IDC_E_APO012, 95, 40, 45, 12, NOT WS_BORDER | ES_AUTOHSCROLL

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

After installing the C++ components, did you uninstall the Intel software completely and reinstall?

Or did you just install the C++ components and retested without removing and reinstalling Intel software?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

what Ron said..... The Intel install needs to be after a proper VS install, the order is important. You seem to have no fortran integration in VS.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Perhaps this article will help with the VS installation.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Since I’m still having issues with the Visual Studio only giving several C++ options but no Fortran for creating projects, I would appreciate clarification of the following:

Do I need to download and install Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit, since it doesn’t appear to be mentioned in the description for downloading?  However, I received a warning requesting this software package when downloading /installing HPC Toolkit.

Which order should the software (Fortran, (oneAPI Base Toolkit?), Intel HPC Toolkit, be installed and which options should be chosen?

The following is what I have presently on my laptop.

ivf_171123_0-1701131855664.png

Couple of things: 

not sure whether I used the online or offline version for downloading the software – does it matter?

used the modify option to uninstall and the install software, but not sure in which order, if that matters.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Why did you install Fortran separately. Fortran is part of the HPC Toolkit. I wonder if that's causing some confusion.

Install Base Toolkit if you want to use MKL.

I suggest you deinstall Fortran, Base Toolkit, HPC Toolkit and VS. Reboot and reinstall ... Install VS, Base Toolkit, HPC Toolkit.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Thanks Barbara, that was a great help. 

I have now installed the necessary software packages for running Fortran, but have come across a few problems with MVS accepting some of my code.  The first and probably the most important of these is when after loading the resource file, named opticsoft.rc, the MVS objected to opening the file into a window -  I believe I managed to take the correct steps for creating the project.  Attached is a file containing the error message received and a few sample lines of the opticsoft.rc.  

Cheers, Ian

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.22621.0\shared\guiddef.h(146)

fatal error RC1015:cannot open include file ‘string.h’.

OK   Edit Code
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample lines from resource code

// Generated by ResEdit 1.5.4
// Copyright (C) 2006-2010
// http://www.resedit.net

#include <windows.h>
#include <commctrl.h>
#include <richedit.h>
#include "osd.h"

//
// Menu resources
//
CMNDLGMENU MENU
{
    POPUP ""
    {
        MENUITEM "&Undo\tCtrl+Z", IDM_UNDO
        MENUITEM SEPARATOR
        MENUITEM "Cu&t\tCtrl+C", IDM_CUT
        MENUITEM "&Copy\tCtrl+C", IDM_COPY
        MENUITEM "&Paste\tCtrl+V", IDM_PASTE
    }
    POPUP "&File"
    {
        MENUITEM "&New", IDM_NEW
        MENUITEM "&Open", IDM_OPENFILE
        MENUITEM "&Save", IDM_SAVEFILE, GRAYED
        MENUITEM "Save&As ...", IDM_SAVEFILEAS
        MENUITEM "&Print...", IDM_PRINT
        MENUITEM "E&xit", IDM_EXIT
    }

//
// Dialog resources
//
ABOUTBOX DIALOG 22, 17, 144, 75
STYLE DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFONT | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "About Opticsoft-II"
FONT 8, "MS Sans Serif"
{
    CTEXT           "OPTICSOFT-II", IDC_STATIC, 0, 6, 144, 8, SS_CENTER
    CTEXT           "Version 2311", IDC_STATIC, 0, 16, 144, 8, SS_CENTER
    DEFPUSHBUTTON   "OK", IDOK, 55, 59, 32, 14, WS_GROUP
    LTEXT           "Ian Powell", IDC_STATIC, 56, 41, 35, 8, SS_LEFT
    LTEXT           "by", IDC_STATIC, 67, 29, 8, 8, SS_LEFT
}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Can you upload a small reproducer so I can run some experiments?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The resource compiler is not liking the include files called up by the RESEDIT created RC file.

I have seen this problem before. I presume you now have the MS resource editor in VS? What happens then you open the resource file in VS and errors? Make some small change is the resource GUI and then save. That can fix the problem.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Thank you both for your input.  While I have been using Visual Studio platform of one form another over the past 20+ years  – I believe it used to be run by Microsoft, then Digital and now Intel, I’m not that familiar with some of the nomenclature used, being an engineer, but not of the software variety.  As I mentioned earlier, the last version of the Fortran compiler I used successfully on Windows 10, purchased 9 years ago, was w_fcompxe_2013_sp1.2.176.exe.  Having installed this latest Visual Studio + Fortran compiler, hopefully successfully, I created my project choosing the Standard Graphics Application, Fortran /Windows/Desktop from a selection of literally 100s of options.  I then added the appropriate files, .f90, .rc and .fd, into the project, which worked ok and could even load .f90 files and compile them without a hitch.  However, this was not the case for the .rc file, which produced the ‘string.h’ error mentioned above, when being loaded.  This reminds of when I first installed the 9 year old version and it objected to the file ‘windows.h’ not being available.  I had to install Microsoft Windows SDKs Windows v7.1 to remedy the situation.  As requested by Barbara, I am currently trying to reduce the size of the program (100+ files) to something more manageable to trouble-shoot and will send it on when finished.  Appreciate your continued support.

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

I tried reducing the number of files in my project and at the same time decreasing the size of the remaining ones, however, the project still remains large.  Not only do I have a problem opening the resource file, as I have already mentioned, I also have a problem compiling the interfacing routines which came with the w_fcompxe_2013_sp1.2.176.exe package.  The following is just a couple of them

integer function WinMain( hInstance, hPrevInstance, lpCmdLine, nCmdShow )

integer*4 function InitApplication()

interface

integer*4 function MainWndProc( hWnd, message, wParam, lParam)

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : '_MainWndProc@16':: MainWndProc

integer*4  hWnd , message , wParam, lParam

end function MainWndProc

end interface

interface              

integer(4) function MDIWndProc (hwnd, message, wParam, lParam)

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, ALIAS : '_MDIWndProc@16' :: MDIWndProc

integer*4  hWnd , message , wParam, lParam

end function MDIWndProc

end interface

Are these routines still recognized by the latest VS + Fortran compiler? 

In creating my program I tried selecting both the Standard Graphics Application, Fortran /Windows/Desktop and the empty project application.  I then tried the Dialog Code sample option and noticed when loading the resource file, it opened as a series of icons (Dialog, Icon, String Table, Version) rather than a list of text like how my resource file was opened - my resource file was created using a text editor.  This would indicate that there appears to be an incompatibility between my code and the VS + Fortran compiler.  This and the issue I’m finding with some of the Fortran interfacing routines mentioned above, does that mean it is not possible to run my program on this latest software package?  Since my resource file is extremely large, it would not be practical to convert it to the new format.  That being the case, what is my next plan of action?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

You are using 2013? Those interfaces you show are for 32bit builds only as for example two or those callback args need to be integer(8) rather than integer(4).  32 bit builds will be obsolete soon when IFORT becomes deprecated  .

A good callback template look like...

INTERFACE !MainWndProc
        module function MainWndProc(hWnd, mesg, wParam, lParam) Bind(C,name='MainWndProc')
            !DIR$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL :: MainWndProc
            !GCC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL :: MainWndProc
            integer(INT_PTR)            :: MainWndProc
            integer(HANDLE), VALUE      :: hWnd
            integer(UINT), VALUE        :: mesg
            integer(UINT_PTR), VALUE    :: wParam
            integer(ULONG_PTR), VALUE   :: lParam
        END function MainWndProc
    END INTERFACE

You get the definitions like HANDLE by the module  "use IFWIN"

"problem opening the resource file" so in solution explorer when you double click on the rc file what happens? does it pen a resoure tree (it should), open a text file or just throw an error?

0 Kudos
ivf_171123
Beginner

Thanks for the advice.  I made modifications to the MainWndProc portion code as per your instructions, but received a whole bunch of error messages, starting with:

C:\opticsoft\test_05-11-2023\mainwndproc_2.f90(20): error #6114: A separate interface body must only be declared in a module or a submodule. [MAINWNDPROC]

This routine is very long and quite complex, so I’m sure there needs to be a lot more changes to be made with this portion of the program before it is accepted by VS + Fortran compiler.  The problem I have is that the interfacing code to allow my program to run on Windows, which I believe is mainly written in the C language, was developed by a colleague.  While I was able to make some modifications (usually minor), the code is kind of alien to me.  So making substantial modifications, which I suspect would be required, would be out of my depth.

When opening the resource file, it is treated as a text file.

0 Kudos