Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

intel compiler for linux run under windows

diedro
Beginner
hi everyone,
I am writing a fortran code with intel Fortran Compiler for Linux.
I would like to compile my program and run it under windows, because my workstation run with windows.
It is possible?
Thank you very much
andBest wishes
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
To dispose of the ambiguities in your question, let me rewrite it:

Version 1: Will a Fortran application developed in Linux using Intel Fortran be source-compatible with Intel Fortran on Windows?

If the Fortran application does not make calls to OS-specific library routines, yes. You will need to move the source code to the Windows PC and rebuild the application.

Version 2: Can a Fortran application binary, developed in Linux using Intel Fortran, be run on Windows?

No. You can, however, consider running Linux on a virtual machine running on the Windows host. But that takes quite a bit of effort to install and consumes resources, and one would probably not do this for one application that will be run a few times.
0 Kudos
diedro
Beginner
hi,
thank you for your replay.
I useMath Kernel Library, so If I have unnderstood correctly, I would not be able to compile again in windows my source code?
Id this correct?
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
If your application uses MKL, you must have the MKL development package (headers, module files, libraries) installed on whichever platform you want to develop on, no matter which OS it has.
To run applications built with MKL, you need only the MKL redistributable package installed on the target machine.
MKL is available on Windows, either bundled with an Intel compiler, or separately.
0 Kudos
diedro
Beginner
thank you very much,
So if I compile again my program in windows enviroment, for example with visual studio, I have to install also the mkl libraries in visual studio.
thank you, I hope the it will work
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
>I have to install also the mkl libraries in visual studio.

Unless you explicitly asked that MKL not be installed when you installed the compiler package, you should have MKL on your WIndows system. There is no separate installation needed just for Visual Studio.
> I hope it will work.

It has worked for many years.
In Visual Studio, when you create a project, if the project will need MKL be sure to select "use MKL" (the wording may be slightly different, depending on which version of Visual Studio is used) in the project settings.
0 Kudos
diedro
Beginner
hi,
thank you very much
I'll let's you know.
best wishes
0 Kudos