Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

is glibc 2.6 supported?

bchristo
Beginner
glibc 2.5 is the most recent glibc version among the list at http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/irc_nas/732/l_fc_p_10.0.023_INSTALL.htm
that is required for ifc 10.0 for Linux, but would the latest glibc (2.6 ) be supported for the latest (v 10) fortran compiler installation?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What's shown is what has been tested and supported. Historically, new versions of glibc tend to break existing binaries, so we are not making any statement about versions not on the list. Also, I strongly recommend sticking to the specific distributions listed. In future releases, we're going to stop listing kernel and glibc versions, as they are only two of the thousands of variables that make each distribution and each version different from one another.

We'd love to be able to claim support for more distributions, but the sheer number of distros, the dizzying speed at which new versions are released (often without our being able to see them beforehand), and the frequent incompatible changes, make testing and figuring out how to adapt to changes a daunting task.

There are many cases where a distro varies from a supported one in inconsequential ways, but we don't have the resources to test all of them. If you want to try something not on the list, and you have problems, we'd be interested to learn about it but we can't offer support for distros other than the specific ones (and versions) we list.
0 Kudos
umar
Beginner

While this version is not formally supported there are a number of people
running v10.0 under glibc 2.6 without any problems. You can search in this
forum. For example Fedora 7 uses glibc 2.6.
0 Kudos
mzingale
Beginner
will the list of supported distributions for 10.0 be expanded at some point to include glibc 2.6.x based distributions? It says that Fedora 6 is a supported distribution, but soon, Fedora 6 will not be supported by Fedora anymore.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The list of supported distributions/versions does change over time as we test new distros, and we take into account what is "current" for the various releases. Look for an update in the list later this year - I think the new list will include FC7 and some version of Ubuntu, but this will apply only to compiler versions released with the updated list and not retroactively (since we often have to make tweaks to the product to accomodate the dizzying rate of change in distros.)
0 Kudos
mzingale
Beginner
Thanks Steve. I did just install on FC7, and indeed 10.0.026 seems to work there, but I look forward to an officially supported package later in the year.
0 Kudos