Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

keeping track of memory

joelsmith
Beginner
i am involved in a large project that uses a dynamic double linked list. the process first creates the linked list, adds and deletes members, records the information, and then removes the list (i.e. deallocate(pointer), where each pointer is a member of the linked list) and starts all over again. the problem is that the program runs out of memory, probably due to a memory leak, but watching the memory as the program runs seems problematic. first, in the windows task manager the commit charge increases gradually, while the memory usage of the program seems to grow but is bounded under the maximum 1 Gig. second, minimizing the application seems to reduce the memory used by the application after the swapping from the page file to virtual memory and vice versa.

to solve my memory watching problems i'd like to know whether fortran has utilities to record and print the amount of memory the application uses. and i'd like to know why the commit charge grows over time even though the memory for the process is held at the same level. (or at least it is held at approximately the same level). also, why does opening and closing the window of the process seem to reduce the amount of memory that the application uses after the swap has occurred?

any information would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
Such advanced stuff is really better suited for a newsgroup such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

Check out Memory Validator -- it is available for free 1-month trial. (Disclaimer -- I didn't try it myself.) Probably there are other similar tools around on the net.

Jugoslav
0 Kudos