Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

license for icc but not ifort (composer xe_2018)

RKatz1
Beginner

I installed parallel_studio_xe_2018_update4_composer_edition_for_cpp in Suse Leap 15. I chose the 30-day trial license, as I was not sure that it will work in the newer distro (it is not listed as a supported OS). Then I installed parallel_studio_xe_2018_update4_composer_edition_for_fortran.

It did not ask about what type of license I will use. I can run icc or icpc, but ifort reports:

Error: A license for (Comp-FL) could not be found.

Indeed Comp-FL is not in the license file.

I am sure I did this years ago, with 2012 or 2013 version of Intel compilers (which seemed to have different license files) and I could run ifort as well.

So how should the fortran compiler be installed? Or is it not possible to get 30-day license for both compilers?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

Did you activate the license, download and install the license file? I believe that if the downloaded files are separate packages for C++ and Fortran they also necessitate different license files. I actually didn't know that it is still possible to download separate packages, and not a unified one for C, C++, and Fortran.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You need separate licenses for those two products. I'm a bit surprised, though, as I thought that Intel provided only the Cluster Edition (which includes all the tools) for evaluation. Maybe this changed in the past two years.

Intel does still sell C-only and Fortran-only versions of the Composer Edition (as well as one with both). There are many customers who use only one of the languages. The higher editions all contain both compilers.

0 Kudos
RKatz1
Beginner

Okay, so I found version 2019 now has update 1, and downloaded the cluster edition (5 billion bytes!) as it supports SLE 15.

Just did the evaluation license, as RHEL 8 beta is now out. Once I have installed that, I will want to see if the compilers work

on that, or I will have to wait for Intel 2020?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You probably won't have to wait that long. Intel often supports newly released distros in updates. But Intel tends not to support OS betas.

0 Kudos