Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

missing source code linkage in DDD+idb

changks888
Beginner

Dear all,

Basically, I followed the tips to conduct things as following steps. However, I got errors showing "No file", "No symbol "MAIN" in current context" and "No source file for address MAIN" ... etc. 

(1) compile the code using these ifort options: -extend-source 132 -O0 -g -save-temps -fpic -Wl,-no_pie

(2) run the DDD with idb: ddd --ladebug --debugger idb  my_program

The DDD GUI window showed the following messages:

GNU DDD 3.3.12 (i386-apple-darwin12.1.0), by Dorothea LIntel(R) Debugger for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 12.1, Build [76.205.11]
------------------
object file name: /Users/changks/IBIS/ibis_ted/EDG/ibis
Reading symbols from /Users/changks/IBIS/ibis_ted/EDG/ibis...done.
(idb) No file.
(idb)
No symbol "MAIN" in current context.
No source file for address MAIN.
(idb)
No symbol "MAIN_" in current context.
No source file for address MAIN_.
(idb)
No symbol "MAIN__" in current context.
No source file for address MAIN__.
(idb)
No symbol "_MAIN" in current context.
No source file for address _MAIN.
(idb)
No symbol "__MAIN" in current context.
No source file for address __MAIN.
(idb)
No symbol "the_main" in current context.
No source file for address the_main.
(idb)
No symbol "main_vxworks" in current context.
No source file for address main_vxworks.
(idb)

I was wondering if my_program did not carry on the path of the source code. What is the solution? Thanks for helping me on this.

Cheers,

Michael

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous57
Beginner
Hi Michael, Do you have a .gdbinit on your host system? As this file will be automatically executed after the start of DDD and there are some symbols which idb would not be using (main_vxworks) it makes me suspect that the output could be from .gdbinit. If this is the case you can ignore the information and start your debug session as normal. What version of the compiler and idb are you using? Regards, Bernth
0 Kudos
changks888
Beginner
Hi Bernth, What do you mean by "host system"? Where can I find it? I search ".gdbinit" throughout the computer, but I cannot find any files have it. I installed DDD via macports. Is it influence the way to use DDD+idb? I try to ignore the message, but I can not load the source code in DDD. My ifort version is ifort (IFORT) 12.1.0 20111011. The idb is Version 12.1, Build [76.205.11]. Thanks for helping me on this. Michael
0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee
.gdbinit would be a file in your $HOME directory, and you can't see it unless you use ls -a (by default, files that begin with a period (".") are hidden from view). That said, please look at your Fortran program. Does it have a main program, or is it just a subroutine or module file? --Lorri
0 Kudos
changks888
Beginner
Hi Lorri, I check my home directory, but I cannot find .gdbinit. The source code has a main program called main.f. After compiling the whole bunch source code, the excusable program was copied to another folder that contains the input data for the following calculation. Thanks and please what I can do next. I really need to get it works. Michael
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello Michael, I've talked to our debugger engineers and got told that we're not supporting the combination of IDB and DDD. DDD typically uses GDB as debugger backend. IDB command line is close to GDB syntax but there are smaller differences and extensions. Those break the assumptions of DDD expecting a GDB interface. If you want to use DDD we're recommending GDB as backend. In the future we're going to support GDB as well. Please see http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/278143 for more information. This link will also forward you to our dedicated Debug Solutions forum which is more appropriate for such kind of questions. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos