Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

name.sln vs name.vfproj

Robert
Beginner

1) In MS Visual Studio when I click FILE>OPEN>Project/Solution  I get the choices: Name.sln and Name.vfproj.  Please help me understand the difference between the sln and vfproj files. Clicking on either seems to both do the same thing.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

A Solution (.sln) is a container for one or more projects. Visual Studio requires a Solution before you build anything. A project builds one thing in one language - .vfproj is the file type for Intel Visual Fortran projects. If you open a project that implicitly opens the solution it is in. In the simple case, you'll have one solution with one executable project, but you could have multiple projects of different types (exe, dll, lib, etc.) and/or different languages (Fortran, C++, VB, etc.) in a solution. You can establish a tree of dependencies among projects in a solution so that VS builds them in the proper order, and automatically include the output of a child project (say, a library) in the build of its parent.

0 Kudos
Robert
Beginner

That is informative. Thank you.

Regards,

Bob 

0 Kudos