Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

no traceback with -static-libgcc ?

Janus
New Contributor I

Please consider this trivial code snippet, which does nothing else but generate a backtrace:

program tb

use ifcore

call TRACEBACKQQ

end

Compiling this with ifort 18 using the -traceback flag yields the expected result:

$ ./a.out
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source             
a.out              0000000000404391  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
a.out              0000000000400AA4  MAIN__                      5  backtrace.f90
a.out              0000000000400A4E  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
a.out              000000000048B636  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
a.out              000000000048B82A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
a.out              0000000000400929  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

However, when adding the -static-libgcc flag on a Linux system, the backtrace completely disappears and the program does not produce any output. I observed this not only for an explicit call to TRACEBACKQQ, but also for runtime errors, which usually give a backtrace as well (but not with -static-libgcc). Interestingly a fully statically linked executable (using the -static flag) gives backtraces without any problem.

Is it somehow expected that -static-libgcc kills my backtraces, or can this be considered an ifort bug? The documentation does not seem to mention anything in this direction:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/fortran-compiler-18.0-developer-guide-and-reference-static-libgcc

https://software.intel.com/en-us/fortran-compiler-18.0-developer-guide-and-reference-tracebackqq

Cheers,

Janus

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Janus
New Contributor I

No answer for more than a week. Obviously a bug. I opened a support request.

Cheers,

Janus

Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

I could confirm this behaviour.  

Janus
New Contributor I

Thanks for the confirmation, Juergen. In fact I see no good reason why -static-libgcc should prevent ifort from throwing a stack trace.

Incidentally GCC/gfortran has the same -static-libgcc flag, and there it doesn't affect the stack traces in any way. The test case is slightly different:

program tb_gfortran

call BACKTRACE

end

But compiling this with "gfortran -static-libgcc -static-libgfortran -g" gives me a beautiful backtrace, just as it does without the -static-... flags.

Cheers,

Janus