Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28543 Discussions

old codes written in fortran developed by Compaq

jfbm
Beginner

I have some codes written in FORTRAN developed by Compaq. I learned that Compaq is not supporting that compiler anymore.

I am planning to buy Intel visual FORTRAN compiler, but I read that it integrates with Microsoft visual studio.net 2005 and visual studio.net 2002 and 2003. Basically I two questions:

1- will I be able to run and modify the codes written in Fortran developed by Compaq (old codes)?

2- Which one of the following software integrates better with Intel visual FORTRAN compiler:

Microsoft Windows CE Toolkit for Visual C++ Version 6.0

Microsoft Windows CE Toolkit for V.60 For Visual c++ 95/98/NT

Microsoft Visual C++ Net Deluxe Learning Ed. 2003

MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO. NET - 2003 -* PROFESSIONAL EDITION - VERSION UPGRADE

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

1. In general, yes. Please read this whitepaper for more information.

2. The Windows CE products are not applicable. I don't know what's in the"Deluxe Learning Edition". One customer who asked me about that said he "chickened out" and bought the regular Visual Studio. Visual Studio.NET 2003 Professional Edition would work fine, if you qualify for the upgrade. I suggest looking to see if Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition is more cost effective for you.

0 Kudos
jfbm
Beginner

If I understood correctly the paper suggested, what I have to buy to migrate to Intel visual fortran compiler from CVF, in addition to the intel compiler, are the following Microsoft products:

• Microsoft Visual C++.NET 2002 or 2003, standard edition

• Microsft visual studio.net 2002 or 2003 (Visual C++ component required)

How can I make sure that if I buy Microsft visual studio.net, is coming with the Visual C++ component?

Thanks

0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Not the following products... Only one of the following products! Because studio.net-GUI is delivered with Microsoft Visual C++.NET. Hans
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Visual Studio includes Visual C++, but you can choose to not install Visual C++ when you install Visual Studio. If you do that, then Intel Visual Fortran will not work. When you install Visual Studio, either choose the full install or, if you select components, make sure that Visual C++ is one of the components selected to install.

Hans is correct - you need only one of those products - any one of those will do.

0 Kudos
jfbm
Beginner

What are the advantages of buying the professional edition rather than the standard? What are the limitations of the standard edition?

I guess that with both editions I can migrate to Intel visual FORTRAN compiler from CVF, Am I right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The only difference between 9.1 Standard and 9.1 Professional is that 9.1 Professional also includes the IMSL 5.0 Mathematics and Statistics Libraries from Visual Numerics. Everything else is identical. If your application uses IMSL, then buy the Professional Edition, otherwise buy the Standard Edition.

Yes, both editions provide easy migration from CVF. See this whitepaper for more details.

0 Kudos
jfbm
Beginner

IMSL 5.0 Mathematics and Statistics Libraries from Visual Numericsmeans that several mathematical and statistical algorithms are available to be used instead of writing and testing them.? Anyway, the standard math functions (e.g., sin(), cos(), sqrt (), etc.) are included in the Standard ediftion, right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, all standard Fortran intrinsics are in the Standard Edition. If you want more information on IMSL, please visit the Visual Numerics web site.
0 Kudos