Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28459 Discussions

oneAPI Classic Fortran Error Message:

Hector56
Beginner

Installation Details:

Windows: Windows 10 Pro 2004 Build 19041.804
Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.8.5 (New Install on PC, Recommended Installation)
Intel oneAPI Base Toolkit: w_BaseKit_p_2021.1.0.2664 (New Install on PC, Recommended Installation)
Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit: w_HPCKit_p_2021.1.0.2682 (New Install on PC, Recommended Installation)
Sample oneAPI project: Console1.f90 (Hello Word) 
Both Visual Studio and Intel oneAPI are using the installed default settings for all parameters

When I build the sample Console1.f90 project (Build-> Build Solution), I see the expected output:

Build started...
1>------ Build started: Project: Console1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling with Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.1.1 [IA-32]...
1>Console1.f90
1>Linking...
1>Embedding manifest...
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Dev\source\repos\Console1\Console1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Console1 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

After placing a breakpoint at the last line of the code (To Keep the Command Window Open after Execution), I run the project by selecting Debug-> Start Debugging.  The command window pops up (behind the Visual Studio window) showing the expected “Hello World”.

But when I exit Visual Studio and try to run the Console1.exe under Windows (on the same PC that was used to compile the code), I get the following error message:

“The code execution cannot proceed because libifcoremdd.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem”

The DLL in question was found at the following locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.1.1\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler
C:\Program Files(x86)\Intel\oneAPI\intelpython\python3.7\envs\2021.1.1\Library\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\intelpython\python3.7\Library\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\intelpython\python3.7\pkgs\fortran_rt-2021.1.1-intel_191\Library\bin

It appears that the libifcoremdd DLL is part of the Intel Runtime Library. I would have expected that during Intel oneAPI installation, the proper PATH updates would have been made.  Please advise on the proper steps to correct this error message.

Thanks....

0 Kudos
52 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well you are on to something as on my machine the path entries are set but on a machine that was a clean install of oneapi (reformatted hard drive) the path is not set. I think Intel staff need to look at this.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

A similar problem, regarding MKL DLLs not being accessible through %PATH%, has been reported in the MKL forum and has been "escalated".

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

"The code execution cannot proceed because mkl_intel_thread.1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem."

This is the statement about the original MKL problem. The underlying issue is that Intel has renamed the mkl dll's with this ONEAPI by adding a 1 to the end of the MKL's and has a flaw on install in pointing to these dll's. 

One encounters this problem with adding libraries such as DSILIN to the project, where their installer does not add paths and you need to do it manually. 

One API was a large step forward, and has as usual shown the interesting problems of humans and simple communication.  Luckily we have this board, as I am sure Intel are happy for this place to turn up bugs. 

Why Intel renamed the dll's after many years is anyone's guess.  Although Intel in ONEAPI appears to have tightened up the number of places that they place copies of the dll's for MKL, so the last Parallel Studio the mkl_core.dlls were in 20 locations, they are not in as many locations in the new oneapi if my memory of the search I had to do when installing oneapi is correct to get MKL working on my programs.

It was a bother for while.  Fileseek or a similar program makes it easy of course.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I have to apologize. I decided to take another system that did not have the oneAPI compiler installed nor an earlier version, verified that the compiler DLLs were not present and nothing was on PATH, installed the oneAPI Base (Intel Distribution for GDB and the things it requires), then the HPC Toolkit (Fortran). No redistributables installed and nothing added to Path.  This is a major error and I am baffled that it is present.

0 Kudos
Hector56
Beginner

Thanks to andrew_4619, Steve_Lionel, and everyone else who helped identify this problem. I received the following email today. It not clear to me that "INTEL_DEV_REDIST not defined" is the cause of the problem but at least Intel Support is now aware of the problem.  No estimated solution date was provided. Hopefully Intel Support fully understands the nature of the problem.

Hello,
An update was made to service request on March 5, 2021:

Escalating this case 
the issue with INTEL_DEV_REDIST not defined is present in oneAPI
Sign in to view and update your request or to get additional information. 
You can also reply to this email with questions or comments

Regards,

Devorah
Intel Developer Products Support
0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I've been in discussions with Intel support about this. The definition (or lack thereof) of INTEL_DEV_REDIST is the LEAST important part of this.

The workaround for now is to install the standalone oneAPI component runtime package "Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic Runtime for Windows*" from Intel® oneAPI standalone component installation files

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

The solution is to download and install from oneAPI standalone components page 

Runtime binary Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic Runtime for Windows*   - this will resolve the issue. They are standalone, separate from oneAPI HPC toolkit package. 

Runtime versions for select libraries are available via local install packages (oneAPI HPC and Base toolkits).

This will not change anytime soon.  

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I know that redist package is NOT required if you have the compiler installed but given the compiler install failed to set the redistributables path maybe the smaller redist install might fix the problem. That seems a worthwhile punt given the very large amount of time needed for OneAPI+HPC to uninstall and reinstall.  

Out of interest were you administrator or a user during the install process. I have always installed as a basic user and I do not recall the installer asking for elevation but such things can have a bearing on the end result. I do not know this is the problem just a wild guess.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

1. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;

Blanks in path names are common - this works perfectly on my machine. 

2. Did you run setvars?

3. Intel® Parallel Studio XE

Gives you a 30 day trial - I just got to the stage of getting a license. 

Are you running Windows 10 in its final form?

I would download VS 2017 Community and update the Fortran to add the integration and see if it works.  Sometimes 2019 can give small errors that are annoying?

Occasionally 2017 will work when 2019 is challenged?

Try it all on one of your other computers, partner, child, NUC etc... 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Follow @Steve_Lionel  advice first, the guy is a whizz kid, 

0 Kudos
Hector56
Beginner

Here is the build log as requested:

Compiling with Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.1.2 [IA-32]...
ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:&quotDebug\\&quot /object:&quotDebug\\&quot /Fd&quotDebug\vc160.pdb&quot /traceback /check:bounds /check:stack /libs:dll /threads /dbglibs /c /Qlocation,link,&quotC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333\bin\HostX86\x86&quot /Qm32 &quotC:\Users\Admin\source\repos\Console1\Console1\Console1.f90&quot
Linking...
Link /OUT:&quotDebug\Console1.exe&quot /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:&quotDebug\Console1.exe.intermediate.manifest&quot /MANIFESTUAC:&quotlevel='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'&quot /DEBUG /PDB:&quotC:\Users\Admin\source\repos\Console1\Console1\Debug\Console1.pdb&quot /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:&quotC:\Users\Admin\source\repos\Console1\Console1\Debug\Console1.lib&quot -qm32 &quotDebug\Console1.obj&quot
Embedding manifest...
mt.exe /nologo /outputresource:&quotC:\Users\Admin\source\repos\Console1\Console1\Debug\Console1.exe;#1&quot /manifest &quotDebug\Console1.exe.intermediate.manifest&quot

Console1 - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
0 Kudos