Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26739 Discussions

oneAPI on Big Sur : ld: library not found for -lSystem

khaledi
Beginner

I just upgraded to macOS Big Sur. Then I installed the latest FORTRAN compiler, OneAPI. 

The installation has gone smoothly but when I try to compile a program I get the following error 

ld : library not found for -lSystem

I do appreciate quick help on this issue. 

I have that online that doing the following will solve the problem, but it did not work for me 

ponyc --linker="ld -L /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib -lSystem"

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ron_Green

what is 'ponyc' ? Where is your ifort command?

You can try Jose's solution

sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

Then accept the license (only if you previously haven't) by:

sudo xcodebuild -license

khaledi
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your reply. 

This solved the problem. 

I recommend adding this to the installation page since I assume all Big Sur users will have the issue. 

(The only other place that this error is discussed is on this page for https://github.com/ponylang/ponyc/issues/3684 which is for ponyc programming language)

khaledi
Beginner

One more question which I have is the following 

each time I open a terminal I need to do 

source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh

I assume there is a way to make this permanent, but not sure how?

I added "source /opt/intel/oneapi/setvars.sh " to the bash_profile file, and each time I open a terminal I get a message which I do not like.