Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26730 Discussions

pmpi_f08 doesn't support mpi_f08 interface

Bennett__Ed
Novice

My team is working on some code that makes use of the mpi_f08 Fortran interface, and needs to profile it to identify where to prioritise optimisation. Since ITAC produces no output when run on code compiled with `use mpi_f08`, it is necessary to `use pmpi_f08` instead. However, the Intel implementation of this seems to be broken, not providing any of the `mpi_f08` functionality.

For example, this noop program segfaults:

program test_pmpi_f08
  use pmpi_f08
  implicit none

call MPI_Init

call MPI_Finalize

end program test_pmpi_f08

But adding in the supposedly optional `ierr` argument to `MPI_Init` allows it to run, as does swapping `pmpi_f08` for `mpi_f08`

This second program gives the wrong result for the reduction, and then segfaults:

program test_pmpi_f08_collectives
  use pmpi_f08
  implicit none

integer :: ierr, i, ip, np

call MPI_Init(ierr)
  call MPI_Comm_Rank(MPI_Comm_World, ip, ierr)
  call MPI_Comm_Size(MPI_Comm_World, np, ierr)

i = 1
  call MPI_AllReduce(MPI_In_Place, i, 1, MPI_Integer, MPI_Sum, MPI_Comm_World, ierr)

if (ip .eq. 0) then
     if (i .eq. np) then
        print *, "Reduction succeeded"
     else
        print *, "FAILED:", i, "!=", np
     end if
  end if

call MPI_Finalize

end program test_pmpi_f08_collectives

As the last example, this runs fine if `mpi_f08` is used instead of `pmpi_f08`. Removing the `MPI_In_Place` and instead using a separate buffer also works even with `pmpi_f08`.

This looks like a bug—as if the `pmpi_f08` implementation falls back on the `use mpi` interface rather than the `mpi_f08` one. Obviously if we have to rewrite all of our code in `use mpi` style in order to profile it, there's little point in writing it with `mpi_f08` syntax to begin with. Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks

Ed

0 Replies