Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

problem reverting from v8.0 to 7.1

linton
Beginner
Hi,
I am using the Intel Fortran compiler on a Linux box (Dell Precision 450 with dual Xeon processors) running RedHat Enterprise WS v.3. We recently upgraded from compiler version 7.1 build 20030307Z to 8.0 build 20031231Z. Because the license software doesn't work under RedHat Enterprise v3, we also had to install the license on a local machine still running RHE v2.1. The old directories containing compiler v7.1 are unchanged on my machine, however.

Here is the problem. A Fortran code that compiled and ran without errors under v7.1 is producing garbage results under 8.0. In order to diagnose the problem, I tried to go back to using the 7.1 compiler: changed the .tcshrc line back to "source /opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifcvars.csh", changed my makefiles to use ifc instead of ifort (without ever changing the compiler options), and logged out/back in to make sure the environment variables etc. were reset properly. According to "ifc -V" I am running the 7.1 compiler now.

The subroutines compile without errors under 7.1, but I get the following loader error that seems to point to some discrepancy in the library:

/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/lib/libIEPCF90/a(f90fioerr.o)(.text+0x4d3): in function 'f_f77ioerr': undefined reference to '__ctype_b'

I've never seen this sort of error before, certainly not while running this code numerous times with the same 7.1 compiler. Could it be a problem with the 7.1 license? Does installing v8.0 somehow "break" v7.1? I know I can contact Intel support but I'd like to do as much testing as possible on my own before that. Any suggestions on what I should next to resolve this issue are greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You go through a confusing sequence of operations, but you need to update your installation of ifc 7.1 for consistency with Red Hat EL3. __ctype_b is a form of C tables which is no longer supported in EL3, except possibly in compatibility libraries. Ifort 8.0 and ifc 7.1 have no trouble coexisting, except that the environment variables can be set for only one of those compilers. More likely, you have broken ifc 7.1 by updating your linux version without a corresponding update to the compiler.

0 Kudos