Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

problem with Installing XE 2015

Thomas_C_1
Beginner

I have been running a thread with ...forums/intel-software-development-products-download-registration-licensing and have come up against a problem such that I have been advised to start a new thread with fortran-for-windows ...

Under the instruction of registration-licensing I have downloaded Intel Software Development Products for Windows, Education, have been given a serial number and have installed the software, or have tried to ...

My need is to compile .dll files from fortran subroutines with the command ifort /DLL /libs:static /threads jobname.f. But I am not able to access any of the fortran capabilities of the software.

The first page of the attached powerpoint file shows a screendump of the Intel folder within Program Files (x86) and also of what I see under the shortcut icon.

The second page shows the 'getting started' page of Parallel Studio XE 2015 with the initialisation instruction that I have followed. It also shows the cd window with the error message 'Visual Studio 2010, 2012 or 11 is not found in the system'.

The third page shows that Visual Studio 8, 9.0 and 12.0 are in Program Files (x86). The date modified of 12.0 is 09/05/2015 while the Parallel Studio XE 2015 date is 12/05/2015. The difference of dates is that I was trying out an Evaluation version before moving on to obtain a permanent version.

That is all the information that I can think of giving you!

Can you please advise how I can move on to successfully set up the software?

I would be most grateful.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I do not have a .pptx viewer, and the statement, "But I am not able to access any of the fortran capabilities of the software" does not tell me much. What "Fortran capabilities" did you attempt to use, and how?

The installer gives you a frequently updated progress report, and at the end opens a browser page where it tells you what was installed and what you can do next. What did you see on that page?

Did you supply your own Visual Studio, or did you choose the VS Shell that comes with the installer?

What do you see when you type "ifort" at the Intel Fortran command window?

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

It doesn't appear to me as if you installed the correct kit; what was the other topic so I can see the advice given to you?

This looks like a kit that does not include the compilers, but does include the MPI libraries and development tools (but no compilers).

--Lorri

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is a very subtle issue and I can well understand the confusion.

I see two problems.

The first is that the working directory has been left as C:]Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio XE 2015. This is where the default shortcut puts you, but it is unusable that way as Windows blocks you from writing or changing files under Program Files. The solution here is to create a "working directory" under your Desktop or in C:\ and "cd" there. What I like to do is drag a copy of the shortcut to my desktop and change the "Start in" directory/

The second is that you have invoked psxevars.bat. For reasons that escape me, this is a variant of the setup script that does NOT enable use of the compilers. The alternative is ipsxe-comp-vars.bat, or just use compilervars.bat. But you should not need to invoke this manually if you use the shortcut under "Command Prompt with Intel Compiler XE 15.0".

Lastly, make sure that you installed Parallel Studio XE after installing VS2013, not the other way around.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

To close this out - the real problem was that Thomas didn't have a supported Visual Studio installed, and the Student license does not enable installation of the VS2010 Shell. This prevented the compilers from installing. He installed VS2013 Community Edition, reinstalled Parallel Studio XE, and everything now works.

0 Kudos