Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28634 Discussions

problem with installation of Debuger

hamsha_ir
Beginner

Hi,

I have IntelC++ 9.1.0.42 and IntelFortran 9.1.0.40 both for Linux.

I have successfully installed IFortran on Fedora Core 5.0 and now I want to install IC++, but the problem is that the Debugers versions are not the same, and I am confused that how to install the two Debugers at the same time and how to configure them properly for each compiler when they are called at command prompt. I studied the Installation Guide but it says that if the versions are identical then one debuger in sufficient.

Is it possible to have just the Newer Debuger (with upper minor version)for both IC++ and IFortran?, how is it possible?

Please give me detailed instruction, since I am not good at Linux.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is an unfortunate side effect of a packaging decision we made, and we are rethinking it. A Fortran and C++ compiler released at the same time may have different version numbers - that in itself is not a big problem. However, the IDB packaged with each compiler uses the compiler version number, even though the debuggers supplied with both Fortran and C++ may be in fact idential. This leads to its own confusion, especially if you get the situation where you might think that an IDB in a C++ package was newer than one in a Fortran package because it has a higher number, but the one with Fortran is actually newer.

As I said, we're rethinking how we do this numbering, which is based in part on our internal product build process. One possibility is to use the same number across C++ and Fortran for compilers released at the same time.

My advice to you is to choose the IDB install for the most recent compiler package and not depend on the version numbers. If you get a C++ and Fortran that were released simultaneously, choose the C++ supplied version as it will have a higher number and therefore be less confusing.

0 Kudos