Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

project always rebuilding

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

The projects I'm working on seem to always recompile all sources. This is especially annoying when the EXE has successfully built and I've run a debugging session, when I try to debug again (without changing source code or anything else) it rebuilds. Can anyone advise what I should be looking for?

I'm running VS2013 and Fortran Compiler 17.0.1.143. I have tried Googling the problem with no success, but circular dependencies seemed a possibility. I wrote a python script to detect circular dependencies but didn't find any.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I sometimes get this weird message in the output window, can anyone explain this message?

C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mListReals.f90 :warning: Module 'x64\Debug\procedure::.mod' is created by both C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mListReals.f90' and 'C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mFileStream.f90'

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Are you coding with

include "yourModule.f90"

as opposed to:

use yourModule

Or, is the module source specified in two/multiple projects of the same solution? If so, place the module into a new library project, and have the referencing projects dependent upon the new library project.

Jim Dempsey

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Hi Jim, thanks for your input, but no I'm not using "include", only "use" and its happening in a solution with one project.

cheers

karl

Li_L_
New Contributor I

refer to https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/721674

it may help

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

There was a recent finding here. There were other similar issues reported with our initial submodule support here including a one-time appearance of a similar warning but those are fixed in the 17.0 update 1 you noted using.

If there is any chance at receiving a complete reproducer then we could investigate further.

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Hi Kevin D (Intel), thanks for your comments so far, did you have any thoughts on that weird warning message (repeated below), what is procedure::.mod' ?

c:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mListReals.f90 : warning: Module 'x64\Debug\procedure::.mod' is created by both 'C:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mListReals.f90' and 'C:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mMixture.f90'.

I'm struggling to create a simple reproducer as my project has a lot of source files and dependencies, can I just zip up and email you the folders containing source and project files?

regards

karl

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The strange message appears to originate from the Fortran dependency checking, part of the integrations with Visual Studio, and not the compiler itself. I have not been able to reproduce it myself.

Rather than share via email, can you please submit a ticket at our Online Service Center, please visit http://www.intel.com/supporttickets and we'll investigate further.

Thank you.

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Thanks Kevin, I'll wait on raising a ticket for the "procedure::.mod" warning as I read what seemed a relevant post from Steve earlier that using "module procedure" inside an interface block can be problematic, so I've removed all occurences of the word "module" inside all interface blocks. If I see that weird warning again I will raise a ticket as you suggest.

cheers

karl