Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

project always rebuilding

skinner__karl
New Contributor I

The projects I'm working on seem to always recompile all sources. This is especially annoying when the EXE has successfully built and I've run a debugging session, when I try to debug again (without changing source code or anything else) it rebuilds. Can anyone advise what I should be looking for?

I'm running VS2013 and Fortran Compiler 17.0.1.143. I have tried Googling the problem with no success, but circular dependencies seemed a possibility. I wrote a python script to detect circular dependencies but didn't find any.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I sometimes get this weird message in the output window, can anyone explain this message?

C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mListReals.f90 :warning: Module 'x64\Debug\procedure::.mod' is created by both C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mListReals.f90' and 'C:\Users\kskinn\checkouts\tmp_170815\common\mFileStream.f90'

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Are you coding with

include "yourModule.f90"

as opposed to:

use yourModule

Or, is the module source specified in two/multiple projects of the same solution? If so, place the module into a new library project, and have the referencing projects dependent upon the new library project.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Hi Jim, thanks for your input, but no I'm not using "include", only "use" and its happening in a solution with one project.

cheers

karl

0 Kudos
Li_L_
New Contributor I

refer to https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/721674

it may help

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

There was a recent finding here. There were other similar issues reported with our initial submodule support here including a one-time appearance of a similar warning but those are fixed in the 17.0 update 1 you noted using.

If there is any chance at receiving a complete reproducer then we could investigate further.

0 Kudos
skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Hi Kevin D (Intel), thanks for your comments so far, did you have any thoughts on that weird warning message (repeated below), what is procedure::.mod' ?

c:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mListReals.f90 : warning: Module 'x64\Debug\procedure::.mod' is created by both 'C:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mListReals.f90' and 'C:\syncplicity\kskinn\Documents\checkouts\common\mMixture.f90'.

I'm struggling to create a simple reproducer as my project has a lot of source files and dependencies, can I just zip up and email you the folders containing source and project files?

regards

karl

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

The strange message appears to originate from the Fortran dependency checking, part of the integrations with Visual Studio, and not the compiler itself. I have not been able to reproduce it myself.

Rather than share via email, can you please submit a ticket at our Online Service Center, please visit http://www.intel.com/supporttickets and we'll investigate further.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
skinner__karl
New Contributor I

Thanks Kevin, I'll wait on raising a ticket for the "procedure::.mod" warning as I read what seemed a relevant post from Steve earlier that using "module procedure" inside an interface block can be problematic, so I've removed all occurences of the word "module" inside all interface blocks. If I see that weird warning again I will raise a ticket as you suggest.

cheers

karl

0 Kudos