Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

rc.exe error

John_V_
Beginner

I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013 and Intel Parellel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows ( downloaded file w_fcompex_all_jp_2013_sp1.4.237.exe ).   In attempting to build a solution from a .vfproj which has been successfully by others in our group, I get "rc.exe not found".  Where should "rc.exe" be?  I tried re-installing Intel Fortran and it did not work.  Does "rc.exe" come from Visual Studio?  Also, others in our group who can successfully build the .vfproj do not even have a "rc.exe" on their hard drive.  Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

rc.exe is the resource compiler and is part of VS, I think it is associated with the the MS C/C++ product.

If you just have the VS2010 shell product the resource compiler  in not included by you say you are running VS pro anyway.....

0 Kudos
John_V_
Beginner

I have Visual Studio 2010 Express, and then installed Visual Studio 2013.  Does that mean there was a problem with the install of Visual Studio 2013?  Do I need to uninstall both VS2010 and VS2013 and then reinstall VS2013?  Thanks

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Hmmm,  What I do know is express does not work with ifort and does not include rc.exe.

I suspect an uninstall is required but maybe there is a smarter way but I do not know the answer to that.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes - uninstall everything, including VS - installing VS Pro over Express probably messed up the Windows SDK setting which is where rc.exe comes from. Then reinstall VS2013 Pro and then Fortran.

0 Kudos
John_V_
Beginner

uninstalling everything and then reinstalling did not solve the problem.  The $(WindowsSdkDir) environment variable is messed up.  It points to a directory that does not exist.  What is the easiest way to correct this?  The uninstall/reinstall left it in the same state.  One note, the  Visual Studio 2010 Express was an evaluation copy.  Even though I uninstalled it using Control Panel, there seems to be some residual 2010 directories hanging around.  Do I need to manually delete anything?  What is the easiest way to correct  $(WindowsSdkDir)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Check the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\CurrentInstallFolder. This is where Visual Studio is looking for the SDK location. You probably want to change it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\ 

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Toro
Beginner

We are having the same "rc.exe not found" error in a machine where we are installing a new Composer License. Here is the history of Visual Fortran in this machine (running Win 8.1):

1. Installed trial Visual Studio (2013, I believe) and a trial of Visual Fortran (after having installed and removed some wrong versions of Visual Studio; Express?).
  2. Removed above when license expired.
  3. Bought new license and installed parallel_studio_xe_2015_update4_setup.exe, choosing Visual Studio and Visual Studio 2010 Integration.
  4. After this install (or after a previous failed install with update 3 instead of 4, my memory is getting foggy) Windows Update had trouble updating Visual Studio 2010 SP1, so we got SP1 from MS web site and installed it. 
  5. After several attempts, we can now create an Intel Fortran console application, but we get the "rc.exe not found" error when trying to compile, even though this project is purely console and does not have any *.rc files.

What should we do?  Uninstall and re-install?  We tried the "reset" suggestion by Steve and it did not work.

Should rc.exe be part of the installation?  Can we get rc.exe from some other MS download (other than the full Visual Studio, which is expensive and we do not need)? The SDK description for Win8.1 seems to suggest that some pieces (perhaps incuding rc.exe) have been removed. Can one install the Win7 SDK on Win 8.1?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

rc.exe is part of the Windows SDK. This gets installed by default with Visual Studio or if you install Intel Fortran with the VS Shell. However, the method by which Visual Studio locates the Windows SDK is known to be flaky, especially if you installed and uninstalled different versions of Visual Studio.

If you installed Fortran with the shell, the Windows SDK is somewhere under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015 (I forget exactly the folder name, but it will have SDK in its name.) Locate the folder with rc.exe in it and add its path to "Executables" under Tools > Options > Intel Compilers and Tools > Visual Fortran > Compilers. You'll need to do this for both Win32 and x64 platforms, making sure that for x64 you use the x64 subfolder of where the 32-bit rc.exe is found.

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Toro
Beginner

Steve,

Thanks for your response. There is no rc.exe anywhere in the PC's hard drive. Also, the only SDK folders under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\

are

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2015

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE

I would appreciate any further suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Gabriel

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Gabriel, it could be that you didn't remove enough traces of VS2013 Community so that the Fortran install thought you still had a supported VS installed. Is there still a Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0 folder present? Are all of the VS2013 components gone from Programs and Features?

I would suggest an uninstall of Parallel Studio XE and a reinstall - pay careful attention to the list of components it says it will install and any warning messages displayed. It should indicate that it will install VS2010 Shell and Libraries.

0 Kudos