Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28477 Discussions

compaq fortran project generates 8284 error message

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I have a LIB project I've been using for years with Compaq fortran.  When I compile it with Intel Fortran I get many error 8284's because scalers are being passed into array arguments in subroutine calls.

Is there a compiler option in Intel Fortran to allow this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I think my problem was not doing "extract Compaq visual fortran project items" after project conversion.  So I also tried to create an IVF project from scratch.

I will try the "extract" thing tomorrow.

0 Kudos
GVautier
New Contributor II

Hello

This behaviour is no more allowed.

For "static" intent(in) arguments, I think you can use the following syntax :

call subroutine([scalar])

or

call subroutine((/scalar/))

to replace all

call subroutine(scalar)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This was in fact never allowed, but CVF didn't detect the error when you didn't have an explicit interface. Intel Fortran's generated interface checking can detect this error.

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

When I did the "extract" thing, the LIB would build without any errors.  By the way, this library is called umfpack which has been around a long time.  I'll bet you've heard of it.  Nowadays umfpack no longer comes exclusively in fortran, but is C with fortran wrappers.  The version I'm working with is 100% fortran.

My next issue has to do with linking things together in a VS solution.  I will start another thread for this.

0 Kudos
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I'm still getting similar 8284 errors in other parts of my project.  Can anyone tell me what the "extract" step done as part of the conversion from Compaq did to get rid of the error?  It seems it ought to be a compiler switch somewhere.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It's not what the Extract option did, it's what it didn't do. New projects get the property Fortran > Diagnostics > Check Routine Interfaces set to Yes. Extracted projects do not. If you want to cover up the coding error, set that property to No.

0 Kudos