Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

static vs dll - Mapfile

barakobama
Beginner

Suddenly, I becomeuncertain about what library I am using for libraries such as socket, opengl etc. For OpenGL, I think Ihave beenusing the library from the compiler (vs2005). But the map file indicates it's using opengl32.dllfrom the system (vista) instead of opengl32.lib from the compiler. Cleary, I put opengl32.lib in the "Additional Dependencies" of the "Input" options under "Linker Option" . So, my questions are

(1)What's the effect of setting in the "Additional Dependencies"?

(2) How can I use static lib insterad of system dlls. Should I use full path to the lib?

-BO

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
There are two kinds of .lib files. One is a static library - libifcore.lib is one of these. The other type is an "import library" (also called an "export library".) This is created when you build a DLL and is used to "link to the DLL". You don't actually link to a .dll file, but to its corresponding import library. opengl32.lib is one of these.

On Windows, OpenGL is provided as part of the operating system and only as a system DLL. Your only choice is to link with the import library that makes the connection to the DLL. This is the same for all the system DLLs (kernel32, etc.)

"Additional dependencies" specifies additional libraries and objects you want the linker to reference. You can specify a full path or just the library name and get the linker to use the various paths it knows about to find the library.
0 Kudos