Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

string lengths

Scott_L_
New Contributor I

How does intel Fortran on Linux handle string length arguments, mixed string length or all at the end of arg list?   Is there an option?  I did not see it in the man page.  on windows, there is /iface:mixed_str_len_args 

thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

The compiler user guide explicitly states: "No equivalent on Linux* or OS X* systems".

On Windows, Intel Fortran wants to support old code written for Compaq Visual Fortran, which used mixed string length arguments. On the other OSes, there is no corresponding need.

Scott_L_
New Contributor I

Thanks-- is there a compiler user guide on Linux. or just the man page?  If there is, where do I find it?

scott

mecej4
Black Belt

If the person who installed Parallel Studio allowed it to be installed, the documentation should be in the compiler directories at /opt/intel. You can see the documentation on-line at https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-fortran-compiler-17.0-user-and-reference-guide, and the compiler options list at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/677967.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

I will also comment that the string length is an address-sized integer, passed by value. This is important if you are calling from other languages and not using the C interoperability features of Fortran. I often see complaints of problems where the programmer passed an "int" from C as the length on a 64-bit platform. But also be aware that such hidden arguments are implementation-dependent and making use of them is not good practice. Intel Fortran supports the full Fortran 2015 extended C interoperability features, including "C descriptors" for arbitrary-length character arguments.