Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28765 Discussions

syntax coloring for .f95 .f03 lost with update 5?

abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi

I posted this yesterday on a separate thread but may be it was lost there...

I find that syntax coloring etc is lost for files of type .f95 .f03. These were working fine before; I still have these extensions under Tool->Options-> IVF-->General-->free format. But when a file is opened or saved with f95 as extension, it loses syntax coloring.

I uninstalled all previous updates before installing this update.

Abhi

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I can reproduce this and will report it. Personally, I dislike use of file types to indicate standard versions. That's not what it's for.
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Steve

Does this happen because I uninstalled all previous updates to 11.1?

I don't think use of extension is an issue, the problem obviously is that something that was working before is not working now. While, for now, I would be fine with it, unfortunately, the decision on whether to update the compiler version on the company-wide basis does get affected.

As for the extensions, you are right that "non-standard" ones should be avoided. But on some other compilers .f95 is the default for free format (while some others have just .f). I guess .f, .for, .f90, and .f95 have been "commonly" used and hence our usage of .f95. I apologize if I am being too rude in stating this; that's far from my intention. I am just frustrated that I can't give a green to the update.

Sincerely

Abhi

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The Fortran standard does not say anything about the names of source files. When Fortran 90 was implemented, compiler developers needed a way to distinguish fixed-form from free-form and settled on the use of a file type of .f90 as meaning free-form. Other file types in use, such as .f, .for and .ftn, kept their classic meaning as fixed-form. I don't know any compiler that uses .f as meaning free-form.

Unfortunately, some people interpreted .f90 as meaning "Fortran 90" and then decided that if they were using a Fortran 95 compiler that they should rename all their sources .f95. And then we have .f03 and I assume .f08 in the future. I consider this misguided and unfortunate. In hindsight it would have been better to agree on something like .ffr as meaning Fortran free-form.

Nevertheless, we do have methods where users can specify additional file types as meaning fixed-form or free-form source. You are absolutely correct that the VS integration in Update 5 broke the source coloring for user-defined file types. I will report this to the developers and apologize for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
jarvusluntatintel
I like the source coloring, but for fixed format files, it shows everything after the 72 column as gray, even though I have the extended line length set to 132. Any chance of this ever being fixed (or is the fixed format legacy code too small of a market)? If nothing else, I think I would prefer everything after 72 as being black/normal as opposed to green/gray.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Jarvus,

I have had a feature request in on that issue for a while, but it seems unlikely to be implemented in the near future. I do strongly recommend using free-form source, and if you must use fixed-form, stick to column 72. I have a general distaste for code that requires language-changing switches to compile.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Issue ID is DPD200150964.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Now this is strange - I could reproduce this the other day, but can't anymore. Please try an uninstall and reinstall of the compiler and see what happens.
0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

I will try it.

One thing that I would like to get clarified is:- Since I had every single upgrade since 11.0, I uninstalled them BEFORE installing update 5. Can that be, somehow, the source of this issue?

Abhi

p.s. Taking liberty to be a bit naughty, Steve, I thought you would be immune to such things as it works one-day and it doesn't the next-day... :)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I suppose it's possible - however, I DID see it and I had not uninstalled the old versions.

Please do this for me - open "regedit.exe". Click on the + symbols next to the following names, in order: HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Visual Studio, 9.0, Intel Fortran. (If you are using VS2005, replace 9.0 with 8.0.) Click on "111". From the File menu, select Export and export the 111 branch to a .reg file. Zip the file and attach it to a reply here.

0 Kudos
abhimodak
New Contributor I

Hi Steve

Attached is the zip file. Sorry for the delay.

In the path you mentioned, I found that there is first VFToolOpt under Intel Fortran. In the VFTooOpt, I can see subfolders 100, 101, 110, 111 i.e. all version since 10. Each folder also shows all the subversions that I had installed.

Abhi

0 Kudos