Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

undefined reference to `for_realloc_lhs'

Herbert_F_
Beginner

Hello,

I just upgraded my Linux compiler suite to 17.0 (from the latest 16.xx), and tried to recompile VASP (Fortran+MPI). Now I am getting the error message shown in the subject. I did compile the complete source code. Any idea what's wrong? I tried Open MPI as well as MPICH (recompiled with the new Intel suite for good measure). Here is the complete message:

constrmag.f90:(.text+0x4780): undefined reference to `for_realloc_lhs'

Given that VASP is one of the most heavily used HPC codes, I suspect I'm not the first to run into this problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Herbert

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You're linking against older Intel Fortran run-time libraries. That procedure is new in 17.0. Please check your library paths,

0 Kudos
farzad_f_
Beginner

Hello, 

I have kind of same problem. I am trying to solve Abaqus UMAT subroutine and after compilation and by starting the abaqus/standard I get the following error: I use intel fortran 17.0.0.

/usr/DassaultSystemes/SimulationServices/V6R2016x/linux_a64/code/bin/standard: symbol lookup error: /tmp/ff11_Job_sx-px_2795/libstandardU.so: undefined symbol: for_realloc_lhs

the complete log is here: 

End Compiling Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines

Begin Linking Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines

Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 17.0.0.098 Build 20160721
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
ifort: command line remark #10148: option '-i-dynamic' not supported

GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.26.1
End Linking Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
Mon Nov  7 19:13:23 2016
Begin Analysis Input File Processor
Mon Nov  7 19:13:23 2016
Run pre
Mon Nov  7 19:13:24 2016
End Analysis Input File Processor
Begin Abaqus/Standard Analysis
Mon Nov  7 19:13:24 2016
Run standard
/usr/DassaultSystemes/SimulationServices/V6R2016x/linux_a64/code/bin/standard: symbol lookup error: /tmp/ff11_Job_sx-px_2795/libstandardU.so: undefined symbol: for_realloc_lhs
Mon Nov  7 19:13:26 2016
Begin MFS->SFS and SIM cleanup
Run SMASimUtility
End MFS->SFS and SIM cleanup
Abaqus Error: Abaqus/Standard Analysis exited with an error - Please see the 
message file for possible error messages if the file exists.
Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors

Reading this post, I got the idea maybe it is not subroutine problem and it is problem of compiler or the setting which I have. I was wondering could anyone give me some tips whether should I struggle with subroutine or I should do some thing with the compiler. 

In Abaqus environment I use the following:

compile_fortran = (fortCmd + " -c -fPIC -auto -shared-intel " + 
                                 "-I%I -I../lib -free -O0 -fpp -qopenmp " +
                               "-ftz -diag-disable 5268 " +
	               	        "-implicitnone -assume byterecl -stand f08 -standard-semantics " +
                                "-real-size 64 -integer-size 32 -DFLOAT=8 -DINT=4 " )

Regards

Farzad

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The problem is that you're linking to the Fortran run-time libraries from an older version of the compiler. You need to example the link step, not the compile step, of the script you're using. It may be that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is pointing to the older version.

0 Kudos
marc_b_1
Beginner

Hello,

I'm getting the same problem. We are compiling a python program that call a fortran library.

• When using IntelPython and compiling with Intel compilers I get the error.
  • When using IntelPython and compiling with GNU compilers everything is fine.
  • When using another Python distribution (e.g. Anaconda) and compiling with Intel compilers everything is fine.

Could it be some incompatibilities between IntelPython and new Intel compiler?

I'm using last IntelPython (update 3) and icc 17.0.2

Best regards,

Marc Barbry 

0 Kudos
YUAN__Xi
Beginner

I encounterd the same problem. But I don't think it is due to old library linking because only one version of library exists in my computer. I avoided this problem by adding /nostandrad-realloc-lhs compiler option but I don't know why so.

0 Kudos
YUAN__Xi
Beginner

I have encounted the same problem but couldn't find solution as Steve Lionel suggested. Because there is only one version of compiler installed in my computer. I tried to avoid the problem by adding /nostandard-realloc-lhs compiler option. It works but I don't know why.

0 Kudos
Lendormy__Simon
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry to up that post but i am encountering a similar issue.

I am trying to compile a SDK that i was handed yersteday. This SDK required the installation of Visual studio community 2015 and Intel Redistributable fortran library parallel studio XE 2017.

However, when i am trying to build the project (the SDK's tutorials) i run into the same error: unresolved symbol _for_realloc_lhs_

However, i do not own the SDK's fortran sources, which prevents me to build them with a different version of the compiler.

I would like to know if i am missing something here, or simply if the SDK's fortran sources were compiled with the wrong tools.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos