Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

. vs. %

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Lets talk about it. You do not like %? Why? Because in some another languages for the same purpose . is used Im disagree with it. I understand that . gives nice vision but Fortran is not C-kind language like C++, C#, Java and so on. I think it is not correct to use dot in this kind of case. If you have a look to ISO/IEC 1539-1:2004(E) youll find that even there dot isnt used for this:

6.1.2 Structure components

A structure component is part of an object of derived type; it may be referenced by an object

designator. A structure component may be a scalar or an array.

R612 data-ref is part-ref [ % part-ref ] ...

R613 part-ref is part-name [ ( section-subscript-list ) ]

C609 (R612) Each part-name except the rightmost shall be of derived type.

C610 (R612) Each part-name except the leftmost shall be the name of a component of the declared

type of the preceding part-name.

C611 (R612) If the rightmost part-name is of abstract type, data-ref shall be polymorphic.

C612 (R612) The leftmost part-name shall be the name of a data object.

C613 (R613) If a section-subscript-list appears, the number of section-subscripts shall equal the rank

of part-name.
Why so? I do not think its because of conservatism. Fortran is Fortran and we cant sometimes just simply add new feature from another language even dot. I prepared code for this. Lets see:
Code:
module VectorType

implicit none

type Vector
		integer N
		type(log), pointer :: or
	end type Vector

type log
		type(Vector) vect2
	end type log

interface operator( .or. )
		module procedure OrVectors
	end interface operator( .or. )

contains

function OrVectors( vect1, vect2 )
		type(Vector) :: OrVectors
		type(Vector), intent(in) :: vect1, ve
ct2

OrVectors%N = vect1%N + vect2%N
		!vect1%N = 3 -- not pass
		!vect1.N = 3 -- pass!
	end function OrVectors

end module VectorType

program Test

use Modul

implicit none

type(Vector) vect1, vect2, vect3
	type(log), target :: logic

vect1%N = 1
	vect2%N = 2

logic%vect2%N = 4	
	vect1%or => logic

vect3 = vect1.or.vect2

print *, vect3%N
	read *

end program Test

What does mean there vect1.or.vect2? Operation or components selection? IFC chose the second and have printed 4. But what if I wanted to use overloaded operator .or. which must give in result 3! So using dot in this use case are corruptly.
And notice the comments: !vect1%N = 3 -- not pass and !vect1.N = 3 -- pass!. This some kind of bug.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The "." separator was an extension we (then DEC Fortran) created in 1985, introduced with VAX FORTRAN V4 as part of a new feature referred to as STRUCTURE/RECORD. This feature became very popular and was widely implemented. Our compiler had a simple rule for resolving ambiguity in the case of something like A.OR.B - if A had a field called OR, then that's what it was, otherwise it was the operator .OR..

When Fortran 90 came along, the standards committee decided to use % as a separator instead. There are lots of arguments on both sides, but that's what it is. If you use % there is no ambiguity, but with . there is the additional issue of user-defined operators. But the compiler can extend the rule so that if it sees A.FOO.B, then if there is a user-defined operator .FOO. then it's the operator (this has to come first as otherwise a standard-conforming program could become invalid).

We could have decided to allow . only for user-defined types declared with STRUCTURE/RECORD, but we decided instead to make STRUCTURE/RECORD and derived types as interchangeable as possible, so you can use either . or %.
0 Kudos