Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Alternate Linux Distro

qnomb
Beginner

I know Ubuntu is the only "official" supported distro, but I've been using GPA tools for years on Arch with no problem by extracting binaries from the deb. The new release is in an opaque shell script, making this rather difficult. When extracting the payload from the script to /tmp (just commenting out lines 11 and 12 so it isn't deleted and dpkg isn't run), I am unable to extract the deb because it is malformed. Maybe the Intel folks could distribute this in a more friendly way or offer access to old versions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
qnomb
Beginner

Alternatively, could anyone post the extracted binaries from Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Quaf,

I sent you a private message, not sure if you've seen it yet. Are you trying to make an *.rpm file out of the *.deb file?

0 Kudos
qnomb
Beginner

Hi Giselle,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I don't need a deb specifically, nor am I trying to make an rpm. I also have no problem accepting your agreement. I'm simply trying to extract the software and run it on my machine. Here's my process:

1. Download the latest release (18.1 at the time of this writing).
  2. Edit the .sh file, commenting out lines 11 and 12 (disable dpkg and rm), and save.
  3. Run the .sh file, accepting the agreement.
  4. Try to extract the deb with this command: ar vx /tmp/intel-gpa_tmp.deb

That's where my trail stops, with this output:

ar vx /tmp/intel-gpa_tmp.deb 
x - debian-binary
x - control.tar.gz
x - data.tar.xz
ar: /tmp/intel-gpa_tmp.deb is not a valid archive

Instructions on how to extract it on a non-Debian system would be appreciated. Previous versions distributed as a deb without the shell script wrapper extracted just fine.

0 Kudos
Krzyszkowiak__Sebast

You're corrupting the file by opening it in text editor and saving.

You should manually do what install_payload function does instead:

LINE_NUMBER=$(grep --text --line-number '^PAYLOAD:$' intel-gpa_18.1_release_320246_m64_deb_install.sh | cut -d ':' -f 1)
payload_start=$((LINE_NUMBER + 1))
tail -n +${payload_start} intel-gpa_18.1_release_320246_m64_deb_install.sh > /tmp/intel-gpa_tmp.deb
0 Kudos