Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

GPA 2.2: Help wanted: cannot analyze games

Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

[NOTE: This question originally came from a reply by user "dalloo" to the GPA Quick Start Guide, and is being copied here to provide more visibility.]

I've tried 3 games, crysis warhead, battlefield 2 and left 4 dead, but when I try to launch the games with the intel gpa it fails to launch. Why?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems using GPA to analyze these games.

Before I can help you, I need some additional information from you...

First of all, please provide information regarding your configuration by running the gpa-system-inspector.exe program (found in the area where GPA is installed) for both the host and client systems (or just one of them if you are running in single-system mode). Then include this with a detailed report back to us.

Second, please verify whether GPA runs successfully or not with a small sample program (in order to verify that the basic GPA setup is ok). Instructions for doing this can be found in this article.

0 Kudos
dalloo
Beginner

Environment:

(Intel GPA System Inspector)

Windows 7 DEP enabled

Num Processors: 2

Memory: 3036MB

Driver 0:

Device: Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

Provider: Intel Corporation

Date: 12-14-2009

Version: 8.15.10.2021

VendorId: 8086

ProductId: 2e22 (Eaglelake)

Stepping: 3

Supports GPA Instrumentation

GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA v2.2\

GPA version: 2.2.98599

With the gpa, I could run only one game:Guitar Hero 3.With applications it runs perfectly and with gpasample.exe too.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information...

When you say that you can't run GPA with these other games, can you provide more information on the specific problem that you encounter? For example, does GPA crash, or are you unable to get the game to work the way you expected, or what else are you seeing? Also, if there is a crash and/or error message reported by GPA, you would see an XML file created with details about the problem, which you should include here.

Also, have you verified that you have sufficient video memory (VRAM) available (GPA requires 512MB)? Do you also know if the games are using DX 10.1 or DX 11 (as neither of these are supported by GPA at this time)?

In parallel I'll check with the development team to see if they know of any issues with the specific games you mentioned.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
dalloo
Beginner

When I try to connectit says that:

Failed to launch application: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis WARHEAD\Bin32\Crysis.exe

And the same for the other 2 games.

But with the other games the gpa is running well.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Thanks for the info... by the way, were you able to verify your setting for VRAM?

Also, are you running Win7 in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? (I can't tell from gpa system inspector for Win7 whether you are in 64-bit mode or not).

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
dalloo
Beginner

I verified my VRAM, and there is more than 512 mb avaliable.

I'm running windows 7 32-bit.

I think the problem on crysisis the version of DirectX,but the other 2 games I don't know.

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Thanks...

Do you know whether there's any XML file created when you get the error message? Most of the time we try to create this file if we can detect/trap the error, as it contains more detailed info on the exact nature of the problem. The XLM files will usually be located in a directory called "GPA_2.2" in your home directory.

Also, in that same directory (GPA_2.2) there is a file called "ServerLog.txt" -- take a look and see if it shows anything unusual in there as well (this shows information about every time a GPA tool (such as System Analyzer) attempts to connect to the game via the GPA Monitor utility.

I've also asked the development and software quality teams to see if anyone has noted any issues about the specific games you mentioned.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
dalloo
Beginner

I found this xml file:

----------------------------------

-

Intel GPA Error Report - Please report this error at http://www.intel.com/software/gpa

Failed to launch application: C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe

-

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe

-

Windows 7 DEP enabled Num Processors: 2 Memory: 3036MB Driver 0: Device: Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset Provider: Intel Corporation Date: 12-14-2009 Version: 8.15.10.2021 VendorId: 8086 ProductId: 2e22 (Eaglelake) Stepping: 3 Supports GPA Instrumentation GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA v2.2\ GPA version: 2.2.98599

Windows 7 DEP disabled Num Processors: 2 Memory: 3036MB Driver 0: Device: Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset Provider: Intel Corporation Date: 12-14-2009 Version: 8.15.10.2021 VendorId: 8086 ProductId: 2e22 (Eaglelake) Stepping: 3 Supports GPA Instrumentation GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA v2.2\ GPA version: 2.2.98599

-

-

-

-

Win32 Error 0x000002E4: A operao solicitada requer elevao.

Battlefield 2

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Some good news...

I found that there's a command line option to force DX9 mode for Crysis, namely "-DX9" (use your favorite search engine to search for this string: "crysis command-line options" in order to see the exact method for setting this).

Note that similar options may be available for the other games.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos
dalloo
Beginner
Oh It worked now.Thank you Very much for your assistance, and congratulations for the very good program you made.
0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

I'm glad that this worked for you...

However, I have submitted a defect for the issue that was included in the XML file that you provided, and I will let you know the outcome of this when our team has been able to evaluate the data.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you with your use of GPA!

Regards,

Neal

ps-> we are always looking for suggestions on how to improve the product, so please post any additional comments based upon your use of the toolset

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Our SQE team has tested the two other games on similar configurations and has not been able to duplicate the problem that you reported. Is there any more information that you can provide on what you were doing when the problem occured so that we could use to see if we can reproduce the issue? In particular, what screen size and pixel depth did you use and/or did you use any configuration/run options that you can think of?

Also, were you runing on a normal user account or were you running with admin priv's?

Regards,

Neal

Battelfield2: Win7x86--> OK; Vistax86--> OK
Crysis Warhead: Win7x86--> OK; Vistax86--> OK

0 Kudos